Diamond sharpening cards

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talltim

I am looking into buying a diamond sharpening card to sharpen my carbide inserts.

I see several brands trend, dmt etc. Is one a lot better than the other? The trend is certainly pricier.

Is 600 the normal grit for this task?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

I have the 3 "credit card" size set, I believe they are DMT. I use the fine and extra fine for my carbides. They work great--can't believe folks toss cutters when they're dull--what a waste.

JimB

Both trend and dmt are good brands. 600 grit is typical for Turners to use for sharpening and honing but some will get 1000 grit. I have a PSI card and a DMT card, both 600. I also have a tear drop shaped (I can't remeber the right name for it at the moment) one made from CBN material. That is also 600 grit but is also much more expensive.

jttheclockman

I am looking into buying a diamond sharpening card to sharpen my carbide inserts.

I see several brands trend, dmt etc. Is one a lot better than the other? The trend is certainly pricier.

Is 600 the normal grit for this task?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I use Trend and for a good reason. Not all diamond cards are the same. There is a good article on Trend site that explains the differences in diamonds used in the sharpening world and how they are applied to a card or stone. Here is a video of how to use.
Trend sharpening card - Bing video

Terredax

Banned
We have an Accu-Finish machine, and use a 1200 grit wheel for the inserts. It gives a very sharp edge and mirror finish. The finish helps eliminate material sticking.
We also have the 600 grit wheel, and it works very well for sharpening.
So, in my opinion, the 600 grit would be fine for turning tools, where sticky material isn't an issue.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks for the link to the Trend site.

I purchased some fairly cheap ones - but better than the HF ones - from Grizzly last week when I was at their Springfield store. And ordered a couple of 400 or 600 / 1000.

I have about 150+ carbide router bits and have not used the majority of them since I have been back home from Japan (Dec 2010). I need to get some mild rust off of the shanks and some splotches on the carbide faces. They have been covered but humidity swings in the south managed to make it through somewhat. I purchased the cards specifically to clean the faces of the router bits.

I had a dual router - router table in Japan and it was too big for me to get back. I am in the process of making another very similar dual router table now - two routers mounted under the table and the mounting hardware for a horizontal router on the back.

This has been a timely post for me. Thanks!

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Thanks for the link to the Trend site.

I purchased some fairly cheap ones - but better than the HF ones - from Grizzly last week when I was at their Springfield store. And ordered a couple of 400 or 600 / 1000.

I have about 150+ carbide router bits and have not used the majority of them since I have been back home from Japan (Dec 2010). I need to get some mild rust off of the shanks and some splotches on the carbide faces. They have been covered but humidity swings in the south managed to make it through somewhat. I purchased the cards specifically to clean the faces of the router bits.

I had a dual router - router table in Japan and it was too big for me to get back. I am in the process of making another very similar dual router table now - two routers mounted under the table and the mounting hardware for a horizontal router on the back.

This has been a timely post for me. Thanks!
Hank I saw that guy at a woodworking show and he was demonstrating the various uses and he sold me right then and there. He would dull up some router bits and then a few swipes on the card on sharp as new. He goes into all the differences of diamonds and how they are adhered to stones and plates and cards and it gets pretty interesting. I watched another video about carbide saw blades once and boy there is more to them also. I have used those cards and other stones of his on many bits and blades and I am sold. Using that oil helps too.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Hank I saw that guy at a woodworking show and he was demonstrating the various uses and he sold me right then and there. He would dull up some router bits and then a few swipes on the card on sharp as new. He goes into all the differences of diamonds and how they are adhered to stones and plates and cards and it gets pretty interesting. I watched another video about carbide saw blades once and boy there is more to them also. I have used those cards and other stones of his on many bits and blades and I am sold. Using that oil helps too.

THANKS, and I have been wondering about using oil. Several of the cheaper ones recommend water, but I just don't like using water (as a lube) on metal that can rust.

Thanks again!

tomas

I, too, have the 3 trend diamond cards. I have had them for about 2 years and have sharpened a number of carbide inserts and have never been disappointed. I put a couple of drops of water on the to lubricate and do figure 8's to sharpen.

Tomas

TonyL

I have the Trend and the CBN hard that D-way sells (I use the Trend oil (blue stuff) on both. I prefer that CNB that D-way sells, but scientifically, I can't tell you why. I have also used both for sharpening my HSS chisels. The Trend is much lighter and portable.

Top Bottom