Decisions, Decisions!?!?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jmbaker79

So yesterday on a job site, I mentioned pen turning to a home owner, and just happened to have an example handy :) I noticed this large oak slab out back, and inquired as to what their plans were for it. Come to find out they were saving it for "something" but not very attached. Needless to say, now its out back at my house. This was cut end of last year sometime, and been sitting vertical since. I have yet to check the moisture for this guy. My question to all is something out of my realm. It measures roughly 21" x 32" x 4" across the center. I would love to be able to resin fill the cracks and perhaps mineral fill some of them as well. Sand it all down, and apply some sort of gloss finish, and make a nice little table. You may notice some termite / worm damage but it seems contained to a portion I would plan to loose anyway. Would prefer to keep the bark, maybe, just not sure what sort of finish options i would have for it. Some sort of spray finish maybe? Really just looking for thoughts on the possibility, or perhaps chopping it up into a whole bunch of pen / spindle blanks.? The burl areas and spalting would make for a few nice pens i do believe. Anyone with relative wood working knowledge, perhaps a good forum suggestion for info? Thanks for taking the time to give it some thought. Im sure without much similar finishing experience this one will be a challenge!

Attachments

• _MG_7885.jpg
    _MG_7885.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 118
  • _MG_7888.jpg
    _MG_7888.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 99
  • _MG_7876.jpg
    _MG_7876.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 95
  • _MG_7889.jpg
    _MG_7889.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 96
  • _MG_7890.jpg
    _MG_7890.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 106

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
If you want to fill the cracks and use it as a solid piece, I would buy some System 3 epoxy and get to filling to voids. I do this all the time with Mesquite flat work. If you think the crack goes all the way through, put some tape on the back so the epoxy does not run out. Pour the epoxy and let it be a little proud of the surface. After it has cured, sand it all down flat and you are good to go. On the larger cracks, you can embed some turquoise in the epoxy or other such items.

Don Wade

I have use coffee, egg shells, brass from key cutting turquoise among other things to fill the voids. Use masking tape to close the voids if through and allow plenty of time to dry.

Top Bottom