Deal of the century

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I recently ordered a drilling chuck for my lathe from Amazon. PSI model CSCPENCHK2. First off Amazon had it cheaper and was free shipping. After receiving it, it was actually PSI CSCPENCHK which was too small for what I needed. So I contacted Amazon and told them the error and they shipped the correct item. They sent an RMA and I was getting ready to ship it back. But I asked my wife if Amazon ever offers any discounts for stuff like this as I could use the smaller one too. So she asked Amazon if they would reduce the price of the incorrect item and I would just keep it. What a surprise, they knocked $40.00 off. So now I have both the larger chuck and the smaller one. I guess asking sometimes pays off. I know I'm happy.

SteveG

I had a similar experience with Amazon. I received a mortiser that had minor damage, mostly cosmetic and easy to fix. It would have been a return item to them at their expense, on a heavy item. I decided to make a low-ball offer to buy/keep the damaged goods. I considered my offer to be a bargaining start point. They responded with a counter offer, which I countered with a lower offer. They said OK! Result: considerable savings on a bench top power tool, because as you did, I asked/offered. :biggrin::biggrin:

Back when I was in the Navy, I lived in the Philippines for a few years. I lived off base, and often shopped in the local markets. There was no set price for anything, just a 'starting' price. Bargaining was always done as a matter of course when shopping. I got pretty good at it, and often use those skills back in the USA, along with my willingness to initiate the bargaining process and not automatically accept the listed price. Surprisingly, I have found many opportunities to bargain for a better price, even in situations where you would just not expect it to happen. And, it is fun! :tongue::eek:

More4dan

I had a similar experience with Amazon. I received a mortiser that had minor damage, mostly cosmetic and easy to fix. It would have been a return item to them at their expense, on a heavy item. I decided to make a low-ball offer to buy/keep the damaged goods. I considered my offer to be a bargaining start point. They responded with a counter offer, which I countered with a lower offer. They said OK! Result: considerable savings on a bench top power tool, because as you did, I asked/offered. :biggrin::biggrin:

Back when I was in the Navy, I lived in the Philippines for a few years. I lived off base, and often shopped in the local markets. There was no set price for anything, just a 'starting' price. Bargaining was always done as a matter of course when shopping. I got pretty good at it, and often use those skills back in the USA, along with my willingness to initiate the bargaining process and not automatically accept the listed price. Surprisingly, I have found many opportunities to bargain for a better price, even in situations where you would just not expect it to happen. And, it is fun! :tongue::eek:

I've had a similar experience in Thailand and Indonesia and I love bargaining for a better price. However, it doesn't work at Walmart as a friend from El Salvador discovered when he moved here. The folks in his check out line were not happy. Walmart online was a different story when there was a problem with a pressure pot I ordered. It was like being in the market in SE Asia again, I probably because I was bargaining with someone in China.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom