Dash Cam Recommendation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I think I asked this (so please forgive me). I am looking for two; the rating are driving me nuts (funny). I see some include front and rear, better at night. I am looking for something use to use an won't break after a month. Let me know what you think please. I checked CNET and other ratings sites, and they were either older reviews or not truly independent.

Thank you,

Tony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Tony -- Consumers Reports did dash cams in Feb of this year. The are independent and generally pretty factual about any bias.

carlmorrell

Back in January, I was hit sitting at a stop sign. The other driver lied to the cop about what happened, and in this state, insurance is becoming no-fault. Long story short, I read a lot of reviews, and ended up getting a Z-edge Z3. It was either a #1 or #2 in two reviews. I also liked the claim that it was a US company. However the directions implied otherwise.

So far I have had it 2 months, and have not checked the videos in a month. But the quality of the videos I did look at were pretty good. I have not checked to see how well it records at night. It was relatively inexpensive at aroug $100.

TonyL

Thx...i subscribed to CR for years and just stopped my online sub. I will get from library. Thank you both.

Woodchipper

I did a search for dash cameras and came up with a sackfulof hits. One business specialized in security equipment, etc. and had a dash cam for about $100. I could have used one last year when a lady turned right out of the left lane and hit me. The police officer combined our statements and said I was turning- wrong! I sent a detailed letter to my insurance company plus my certificate and letter about having the highest grade in driver's ed in my high school. Got my deductible back! Still might get one as we travel a bit now that the Mrs. is retired also.

budnder

I bought this one a year ago:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X528FNE

I didn't do too much research, and I didn't do much in the way of an install just suction cupped it to the top of the window next to the rearview mirror and let the cord drop down and plug in to the cigarette lighter. It's my "work" vehicle, so I'm not terribly concerned about the looks.

I've been happy with it - it just works. Turns on when I start the car and shuts off when I shut it off. The couple of times I pulled it to look at video of something it was easy to find the video and I was happy with the quality.

TonyL

Thank you. That was the one I was going to buy when I searched Amazon on Friday. They also have an model for another 10 or 20 that also tapes the rear. For 100, I amy just order this one. Thx!

campzeke

I bought this one over a year ago and it works great. I did quite a bit of research before buying. At the time I found relatively minor differences between a $60-75 cam and $150-200 cam. I opted for a cam that does NOT have an internal battery. The heat inside a parked car can easily exceed the upper operating temp of many batteries and is a common failure in dash cams. You give up a few power off features without a battery but personally I wanted a dash cam that works while I am driving.

Hope this helps....

sbwertz

I have the Garmin Drive Assist GPS with built in Dash Cam. They have a wireless rear camera that goes with it, too. Works really well. It's also the best GPS I've ever had.

Last edited:

skybiker

I've had a Garmin G20 for a while now. Video quality is excellent, both day and night. It has a built in GPS so the Garmin viewer software will pull up a map & show exactly where you are on the video as you travel. It has an impact sensor that will automatically save the videos ( 1 prior, current, and 1 post) so you have a record leading up to the sensor being activated. It records location, speed and impact direction with the video.

Very reliable, never had an issue and I've had it over a year now.

Top Bottom