Dad gets even on daughters Facebook!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I think all those naysayers have never known a 15 year old girl or aren't parents themselves. Now, my son is only 22 months old but I already really appreciate the patience parents have to have.

I'd imagine if the gun was taken out of the equation and he just drove over the lap top most would have laughed instead or questioning his parenting abilities.

AK

Driving over the laptop would have been more amusing (It is my new chosen method rather than the pick axe)!! My children are also young and I can already see myself in them and I am hesitantly expectant of the teenage years and all of the discipline I will have to delve out. This man isn't my model for how he dealt with his daughter, but I am happy to see that he dealt with it rather than just looking away and excusing her poor judgement.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

burr

My Daughter who is 15 and has made the same mistake in her life, re-posted this video on her facebook page saying that "her Father would do the same thing that this Father did if it happened again" guess that makes me a bad father!!!

My Daughter who is 15 and has made the same mistake in her life, re-posted this video on her facebook page saying that "her Father would do the same thing that this Father did if it happened again" guess that makes me a bad father!!!

That is a sign that she has seen that she made a mistake... It is a sign of good parenting when your kid can admit a fault without being confronted.

Andrew_K99

I'd take that as a compliment (unless she is talking about the gun toting). It means your daughter takes you seriously. Now had she said "my dad wouldn't do that cause he's a ...." then you're in trouble!

AK

ctubbs

People around here are very upset with such abhorrent behavior by the father, personally
i think he did a good thing. His daughter publicly humiliated him, after raising, feeding, and clothing her for 15 years, the brat needs to learn about consequences.
Actually, she didn't publically humiliate him. She posted her rant to her facebook page and locked down the security setting so people she didn't want to read it couldn't. Oh yes she did. the only thing she locked down was access by only her 400+ friends. Her mistake was accidentally allowing the dog's facebook page to retain access. I see nothing wrong with a 15 year old kid ranting to his/her peer group.

The father, on the other hand, didn't try to target his message. He instead chose to publically humiliate her by posting his diatribe on youtube.

There is a clear difference between the targeted communication that the daughter chose and the public communication chosen by the father.Once more you missed the follow up they both posted. His reply was to her friends list as well as a few select of his own friends list .

One or more of her "friends" open posted the video and from there it went viral. Read all the info before blowing away the father's shoes. Step into them and walk therein for a few days.

Charles

sbell111

People around here are very upset with such abhorrent behavior by the father, personally i think he did a good thing. His daughter publicly humiliated him, after raising, feeding, and clothing her for 15 years, the brat needs to learn about consequences.
Actually, she didn't publically humiliate him. She posted her rant to her facebook page and locked down the security setting so people she didn't want to read it couldn't.
Oh yes she did. the only thing she locked down was access by only her 400+ friends.
Regardless of how many facebook friends she has, the very fact that access was limited to those friends means that it wasn't 'public'.
Her mistake was accidentally allowing the dog's facebook page to retain access. I see nothing wrong with a 15 year old kid ranting to his/her peer group.

The father, on the other hand, didn't try to target his message. He instead chose to publicly humiliate her by posting his diatribe on youtube.

There is a clear difference between the targeted communication that the daughter chose and the public communication chosen by the father.
Once more you missed the follow up they both posted. His reply was to her friends list as well as a few select of his own friends list.

One or more of her "friends" open posted the video and from there it went viral.
According to the father's facebook page, he posted the video to youtube, because it was 'easier'. It should be noted that his security settings for both youtube and facebook allowed everyone to see his posts, so even if he cross-posted it to her facebook page, it would be viewable by everyone both on youtube and on facebook. In other words, his video posting was made completely public by him.
Read all the info before blowing away the father's shoes. Step into them and walk therein for a few days.

Charles
I'm not sure where you are going with this. Every father walks in his shoes every day. Every father knows or should know that his kids are going to occasionally embarress him or hurt his feelings. That doesn't mean that he should stoop to her level (and below) in his response (not to mention make stupid, rookie parenting mistakes).

Rule #1: Don't parent with anger.
Rule #2: Be the person you want your kids to be.

Last edited:

sbell111

Based on the father's posts and the daughter's rant, I suspect that the issue here is completely explained by the fact that she has only lived with him for six months. She is having trouble adjusting to life in his household and he is totally at a loss on how to parent a fifteen year old girl (and he's just a bit of an attention hound, again, based on his own posts).

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmmm

Well, with only the experience of having raised 6 children of my own to productive adulthood and foster parented one child for a year and another for two months (at the request of their parents - with no compensation involved) I am satisfied that there was nothing wrong in what he did. He exercised his responsibility as a parent in what he saw as the right way.

Fortunately he did not ask anyone for their opinion before, during or after the time when he imposed the dicipline.

My own approach to dicipline was different - at 15 and a daughter, I would not have smacked her - her mother would have. The computer, I'm not sure. We had a computer when they were 15 but no internet. Land line telephone communications only. The punishment would have been swift, abd sure.

Last edited:

Hturnings

I'm just glad the government didn't step in and prosecute the Dad for something.

After watching it, my only thought was I would have ended the video with something like. "Daughters name, You disappointed and embarrassed your family but I still love you."

Hturnings

I'll go back in lurker mode but I got to post this. This is from the "follow up story link" someone (thanks by the way) posted several pages ago. Seems from reading this the daughter has her head on straight and will be successful in her life. Read about what some of the "experts" have suggested will happen to the daughter because of this episode.

This is what the Dad said in the follow up. "Our kids are as strong as we help them to be. My daughter took a horrible day in her life, had her crying fit, then got over it, accepted her punishment, and hasn't let it (or people's comments) destroy her strength. "

Read more: UPDATE: Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson | Chicago - News - Chicago's Best Variety of the 80s, 90s and Now

Hturnings

I promise this is the last one. Have you ever noticed how if you really want someone's advice you have to ask more than once. However, the unmarried co-worker/friend/family member is more than willling to give unsolicited advice on how to treat your wife. Or the one who has no kids ............... how to treat/raise your kids.

TerryDowning

Proud Parent Moment.

My 16 YO son brought this to my attention the day it posted up. He agreed with the dad that the daughter was out of line and should not have posted negative things about the family on face book.

Standing rule in my house for minors: If Mom and I don't have full and unfettered access to any and all online/computer accounts etc. There will be no access including phones, visiting friends, etc.

Any negative posts regarding family members will be dealt with swiftly and harshly. You just don't air the dirty laundry in public. I'm very proud that my son could both show me this post and see it for it was. A corrective action made by a concerned parent. Was it the best method? Probably not, but who am I to apply 20/20 hindsight to this man's predicament and how he handled it. The only difference between some of my own parenting mistakes and his is that his is now world wide and can never be taken back or forgotten.

"Never Ever put any thing on the Internet you don't want your parents to see FOREVER."
"Don't visit a website, that your parents would be ashamed of you for visiting."

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmm....

Well the only parents that never made a mistake in raising their kids are those who are childless. I've even made mistakes raising my dogs....

RDH79

I am really not sure how old I was But my dad chased me though 3 different neighbors yards with the belt. Yes he caught me. And I never gave he a reason to chase me again.

Top Bottom