CS USA Workshops

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

I am seriously considering going to one of the three-day CS USA Basic Workshops, and would appreciate if those on IAP who have attended would share their insights.

There are three instructors giving the Basic Workshops; Scott Cherry, Kip Christensen, and Stan Record. I don't see any of them in the Member's List, and there are few members on the Member Map from Utah.

I think the Basic Workshop is right for me as a relative new turner who has only ventured into pens; nothing beyond. I am interested in learning how to properly sharpen my tools, and how each should be presented to the wood, as well as venturing outside of my current comfort zone.

Thank you for any comments you might have to offer.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Have not been to one of their classes but I do know Kip Christensen. He is a Professor of Technology and Engineering Education at BYU, an excellent woodturner and pen maker. I have attended demos Kip has done and they have all been excellent.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I am seriously considering going to one of the three-day CS USA Basic Workshops, and would appreciate if those on IAP who have attended would share their insights.

There are three instructors giving the Basic Workshops; Scott Cherry, Kip Christensen, and Stan Record. I don't see any of them in the Member's List, and there are few members on the Member Map from Utah.

I think the Basic Workshop is right for me as a relative new turner who has only ventured into pens; nothing beyond. I am interested in learning how to properly sharpen my tools, and how each should be presented to the wood, as well as venturing outside of my current comfort zone.

Thank you for any comments you might have to offer.

elkhorn

Warren, I've taken a number of their workshops - both the 3 day and 5 day. IMHO, they are definitely worth it. I'll take more in the future. 3 - 5 days of woodturning for about 8 -9 hours a day uninterrupted (leave your cell phone in the car:smile-big:) - can't beat it. Plus you get a 10% discount on anything you buy during the class.

If you have any questions, drop me a PM.

bobleibo

Warren
I've also been on the receiving end of a lot of the expertise that comes from CSUSA. You may also want to consider the Utah Wood Turning Symposium this coming May. There are more expert woodturners there doing more demos than you can fit in during the 3 days including Kip. Here's the link Utah Woodturning Symposium Home - Utah Woodturning Symposium well worth the price.
Let us know if you sign up for a workshop....might be a good nudge for me to attend too.
Cheers
Bob

Last edited:

Bikerdad

I signed up for the April Basic Workshop last week. I have zero knowledge of any of the instructors, just figured that three days of focused turning and sharpening would be a good thing. Did I mention sharpening? I'll try to remember to post about my experience after. Oh, for those of you on the fence,
nudge, :party:
nudge.

:party:

Warren White

July Workshop

I signed up for the 3 Day July Workshop, being taught by Kip Christensen. I am really looking forward to attending, and perhaps meeting some of the IAP members around the Provo area, as well as those who will attend.

Thank you for the recommendations and comments about the Workshops.

See you there?

Bikerdad

I signed up for the 3 Day July Workshop, being taught by Kip Christensen. I am really looking forward to attending, and perhaps meeting some of the IAP members around the Provo area, as well as those who will attend.

Thank you for the recommendations and comments about the Workshops.

See you there?

Just don't be bringing any of that funky Northern California radiation with you, we like our radiation the good desert alien kind that blows in from Nevada.

:alien:

as a Livermore resident, WW should get it...

Warren White

Caught me!

Retired after 36 1/2 years at the Lab!

Hope we can still be friends....

However, we did lots of things. I, for one, was in Security.

Tieflyer

Kirk DeHeer also works for and teaches classes at CSUSA. I'm personal friends with him and have taken two, week long classes with him. They were elsewhere but I will absolutely vouch for his teaching ability. If I ever get the chance to take classes at Craft, I will. No doubt.

Warren White

Tieflyer

I saw his name on the list, and have heard good words about him, but I just don't want to go to Utah in the dead of winter! I lived there for a number of years, and driving in the snow lost all of it's "magic."

I appreciate the recommendation, though.

Joey-Nieves

Please Go, you won't regret it! CSUSA is a fantastic host, I was there last year a took a 3 day class with Kirk and I shared the classroom with Josh from Tech services. These people covered everything they said they would, slowly and answered even the most silliest question I came up with.
We finished all the projects ahead of schedule and Kirk gave us demonstrations, tips and techniques on other subjects.
The doughnuts are fresh every morning and everybody made me feel special. As a result from that trip I made a lasting friendship with Josh and his wife George (Georgina) and am very happy to have gone there.
When you go, there is a small Chinese restaurant in downtown Provo you must visit.
Joey

Top Bottom