Critters of mass destruction

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Well, demo on the house was supposed to start today. But the lead worker called with his cold having gotten worse, I can understand that since I saw him yesterday and suggested we hold off, but he wanted to get started. I ordered the 15yd bin for the debris, only to call this morning to postpone it...

But as I finalised moving my woodpile I stirred up these Critters of mass destruction.

2008424113047_Woodpile%20008.jpg

Of course in disturbing them I brought out the lizard population. They gathered and ran through... I stood and watched wondering why they weren't eating any of the bountiful feast of ants. Then one ran in and grabbed an ant. Hooray! I thought, only to go, hunh? as the lizard spat the ant out. So I watched for a bit more and saw this happen a few more times before I realised the ants that the lizards were grabbing were carrying eggs. But when they were spat out they were without their precious cargo of eggs. I thought that was just too cool. A pity I couldn't capture that part of the circle of life on "film".

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Originally posted by gokartergo

are those fire ants?? We don't have them in CA, yet..

Those are carpenter ants. They get up to a half inch or so and if you get bit, they will leave a nice big wealt and a pusicle from formic acid. You don't try to get bit more than once in a lifetime.

They are as destructive as termites.

Fred

I have several termite infested trees on some property I own. After getting my shovel and carrying several 'loads' of these fire ants to the termite trees I suddenly do not have any more termites ... not a one survived the fire ant onslaught. It took about two hours for every termite to be killed. Now if only I could train the ants to attack and not sting as their sting is very painful.

Hummmmm, trained fire ants. Maybe I am onto something! ;)

Top Bottom