A couple of "not pens"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czarcastic

The "Challenge" object at our turning club (Florida West coast Woodturners) this month is ornamanets.
First one is Spalted hackberry with mesquite finial and icicle.
Second is Mesquite with red acrylic finial and icicle.
As always, comments and constructive criticism welcome.
Thanks for looking

ornament2.jpg

mesquite_ornament4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

Is that one of them thar "inside-out" turnings?

They are really nice. And they are also a ball to make, I made a bunch last year to give out as christmas gifts.

alamocdc

Those are really cool, Steven! I may have to try. I need a break from pens anyway. Oops, did I jsut type that? [}:)][;)] Actually, I'm kidding. [:eek:)] I just like to do other things in between. [:p]

MDWine

Are there tutorials for such a thing somewhere? I've looked, but all I can find are those $25 club books... I don't wanna join a club!
Those are very nice. What are the dimensions?

woodwish

Very nice, I have also made a few of those from instructions on the 'net. I'll have to look for the source. They can be a challenge but are tough for non-turners to figure out how it was done.

woodwish

These are not ornaments but it explains the process http://www.cnew.org/TipsTechniques/INSIDE%20OUT%20TURNING.pdf
it's not the article I used but I can't find the one I had.

JimGo

Originally posted by penhead
<br />There was an excellent article on making 'Inside-Outside Christmas Ornaments' in the Winter 2205 copy of Woodturning Design.

John, my clairvoyancy only stretches forward a few months, not 200 years!

Man, just imagine the pen kits in John's issue! I wonder if we've been rendered obsolite by then. [:D]

Sorry John, couldn't resist!

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Took me a second to figure out what you were talking about[:I][:)]

I imagine by then we will just be literally hooked into our computers and only have to think about what we want to post....can you say 'assimilated by the borg' [:)]

Czarcastic

Originally posted by penhead
<br />There was an excellent article on making 'Inside-Outside Christmas Ornaments' in the Winter 2205 copy of Woodturning Design.

That is exactly where the inspiration came from. I had tried a couple last year, with mixed results, and thought I would try again this year.

I did not make the two friction chucks the author suggests in the article, so I had to change some of the procedure, but generaly these are easy to do, and my pre-cut pen blanks are the perfect size to make one. Just make sure your blanks are about 6" long and perfectly square. I started with 3/4"x3/4"x6" blanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom