Cost per gallon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

$3.39/Reg; $3.69/Prem in northern SC. Just over the NC border, $3.65/reg; $3.95/Prem. Guess where I go?:biggrin: Both areas are up about $.25 over the past ten days or so.

MichaelD

My wife has a small interest in a couple of wells in Louisiana. Back in the '80s the monthly checks just about paid our fuel bills. Since then they capped the oil production and only move some natgas at a very low price per million cubic feet. Now we get enough to eat out once a year.

And as much oil and gas as is produced in and off the coast of Louisiana we are also not immune to rising prices.

Cmiles1985

Many folks will speculate that it's because of the upcoming travel season, etc. Acquiring oil is becoming rather difficult due to trade issues, transportation costs, etc. and locally produced shale oils are creating unforeseen refining issues. Also, the taxes imposed on fuels is increasing adding to the cost at the pump. Hopefully we can all figure something out soon to make the prices come back down!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
My wife has a small interest in a couple of wells in Louisiana. Back in the '80s the monthly checks just about paid our fuel bills. Since then they capped the oil production and only move some natgas at a very low price per million cubic feet. Now we get enough to eat out once a year.

And as much oil and gas as is produced in and off the coast of Louisiana we are also not immune to rising prices.

Same here - it's sometimes fun to tell people that we have a couple of oil wells on our ranch. Their look of amazement & envy fades quickly when they learn how little we actually get from them. Too bad we are just outside the Eagle Ford area.

tbroye

We in California have designer gas that is taxed to the hilt and they are trying to add more. When we travel to Boise Idaho to see the grandkids I don't fill up before we leave, I wait until Reno and get good gas with out all the California junk it and on the way home I fill in Reno again The vehicle get better mileage and runs better. It will probably hit $5 a gallon this summer.

stonepecker

In my business.......Fuel is my biggest expence when traveling/working.
On an average day, I use between 30-40 gallons......@ $4.00+ per......depending where I am at.

I am old enough to remember my Father complaining about gas being at $0.26/gallon.
The goverment and the taxes are what is breaking us.
JMHO

Cmiles1985

Quit whining. You are still cheaper than just about anywhere in Europe.

yeah, but I bet you don't drive an F150! :)

You don't see many of those in Europe for sure. Here in Texas, every other vehicle is an F150 -- followed by an F250 :)

Then further south, every other truck is an F250 followed by an F350 (or their respective Dodge/Chevy counterparts)! With the oil boom here, it seems that BMW, Mercedes and Maserati have become popular "wife" cars. I'm sure neither of these makes fall into the "fuel efficient" category!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Quit whining. You are still cheaper than just about anywhere in Europe.

yeah, but I bet you don't drive an F150! :)

You don't see many of those in Europe for sure. Here in Texas, every other vehicle is an F150 -- followed by an F250 :)

Then further south, every other truck is an F250 followed by an F350 (or their respective Dodge/Chevy counterparts)! With the oil boom here, it seems that BMW, Mercedes and Maserati have become popular "wife" cars. I'm sure neither of these makes fall into the "fuel efficient" category!

I heard a report today that Texas' oil & gas production for 2014 is projected to be larger than 11 of the 12 OPEC countries.

Cmiles1985

I could believe it! Two of our three local refiners are constructing large expansions. My customer's sister refinery in Houston is building a new crude unit as well. We also have several smaller companies building crude fractionation units around here, and transportation terminals are being constructed like crazy. Unfortunately, the Eagle Ford oil is causing a lot of issues in refining. It's profile is very nice for making gasoline and lighter products. However, the contaminants in the crude plus added chemicals to make it safe for transport, make it very difficult and expensive to process. I can't complain personally since it means more specialty chemical sales and I have a company vehicle/gas card. Anyhow, now it's time to optimize these chemicals and try to drop the price for all of y'all :) I don't think it will be much of an impact though since chemical costs falls into the 3% of "other" refining costs when you break down the per gallon refining price.

flyitfast

Many folks will speculate that it's because of the upcoming travel season, etc. Acquiring oil is becoming rather difficult due to trade issues, transportation costs, etc. and locally produced shale oils are creating unforeseen refining issues. Also, the taxes imposed on fuels is increasing adding to the cost at the pump. Hopefully we can all figure something out soon to make the prices come back down!

I agree there are costs associated with any business, but why do the CEO's have to be so happy every quarter when they have new "record" profits? They almost seem to be flaunting new higher profits each quarter in the picture in the paper????? :confused:
It is hard to feel sorry for them, especially since there always seems to be new excess reserves.
My $.02.............
gordon

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

I agree there are costs associated with any business, but why do the CEO's have to be so happy every quarter when they have new "record" profits? They almost seem to be flaunting new higher profits each quarter in the picture in the paper????? :confused:
It is hard to feel sorry for them, especially since there always seems to be new excess reserves.
My $.02.............
gordon

Like it or not, that IS the job of a CEO.
Corporations are owned by the stockholders and a company's only fiduciary obligation is to maximize the return on investment of its owners.

Cmiles1985

The undisclosed company that I work for does the same thing... These CEO's are simply glorified salespeople. The product they sell is stock shares. It is the brutal nature of business.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

My $.02.............
gordon
Probably they would like to make as much profit as the government(s) take taxes.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Businesses exist to make a profit. Whether it is a mom and pop convenience store or Microsoft. The shareholders that CEOs respond to are the owners. If they want me to buy their stock, they have to show me a reason to do so and only two things qualify as a reason for me to own a stock (appreciation in price or the probability of dividends). and both are closely tied to profits (in the long run). Quarterly profit reports are issued only because they are required for publicly traded corporations. They are very often misleading because our news media makes front page headlines out of a high quarterly profit but will ignore reports of small profits. Virtually everyone in the USA has some interest in corporations making a profit. Their jobs, their investments,their savings, their children's college funds,availability of products they want to buy...the list goes on and on. Even here thinking of our little hobby, where would it be if no one made a profit? No where. In fact, most of us vendors could not operate on the same profit margins the big corporations have, We need a lot more because we do not have the advantage of scale.
The undisclosed company that I work for does the same thing... These CEO's are simply glorified salespeople. The product they sell is stock shares. It is the brutal nature of business.

Rick_G

Our gas just jumped 14 cents per litre today (same as a US quart)...

So we're at 1.46, up from 1.32...

equal to over $5 per US gallon...

time to move to the US! :)

Andrew

Just move south a little Andrew. Use the PC mastercard at one of their Superstore stations and take 4 cents a litre off.

I think I would rather pay the higher gas prices than pay the medical insurance costs in the U.S. especially with the wife being diebetic and both of us over 65. Of course being retired and a tank of gas lasting me about 3 weeks now doesn't hurt either.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Andrew

Just move south a little Andrew. Use the PC mastercard at one of their Superstore stations and take 4 cents a litre off.

I think I would rather pay the higher gas prices than pay the medical insurance costs in the U.S. especially with the wife being diebetic and both of us over 65. Of course being retired and a tank of gas lasting me about 3 weeks now doesn't hurt either.
My presumption is that you live in Canada because you like it there. I live in the USA because I like it here. I also like some of the places I've seen and been to in Canada, but not enough to move there. We had a long cold winter here this year but your's was longer and colder - that alone would be enough to convince me --- in fact much more of that kind of weather and Mexico is going to start looking much better.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
BTW I think you live in Canada and the current exchange rate is $1.10 Canadian to $1.00 US which muddies the water just a tad.

Hard to believe a currency weaker than the US -- you must be doing something wrong....we sure are.

Cmiles1985

Andrew

My presumption is that you live in Canada because you like it there. I live in the USA because I like it here. I also like some of the places I've seen and been to in Canada, but not enough to move there. We had a long cold winter here this year but your's was longer and colder - that alone would be enough to convince me --- in fact much more of that kind of weather and Mexico is going to start looking much better.

It may have to be pretty far south in Mexico. I'm only about 100 mikes north of the border, and we still had a "cold" winter that was borderline unbearable for folks like myself! It's only 84 degrees F right now, and I'm LOVING it! This will be a fantastic weekend for playing with the kids outside :)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Andrew

It may have to be pretty far south in Mexico. I'm only about 100 mikes north of the border, and we still had a "cold" winter that was borderline unbearable for folks like myself! It's only 84 degrees F right now, and I'm LOVING it! This will be a fantastic weekend for playing with the kids outside :)
It's all that global warming that is making it so cold.....:biggrin:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
The currency is artificially low - to encourage foreign investment and create an export surplus...our economy is actually doing quite well, but the dollar is 'tweaked' by the central bank...makes Canadian goods cheaper! :)

Mexico is nice! I wouldn't want to live there, but it's nice!

fisher

Gas here in ga is higher then normal ,Summer blend they call it .
My fuel bill is $60.00 per day .at 7 day's a week .I try not to even think about the prices .Our average price here is $3.60 gal

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The currency is artificially low - to encourage foreign investment and create an export surplus...our economy is actually doing quite well, but the dollar is 'tweaked' by the central bank...makes Canadian goods cheaper! :)

Mexico is nice! I wouldn't want to live there, but it's nice!
I know that Andrew but didn't want to say something that might rile my Northern Neighbors. And Canada is far from alone in that "tweaking"

If you add in all of the costs of gasoline that we pay in the USA I wonder how much we really pay? I bet it is double what we pay at the pumps?

According to NPR prices are rising in the US because the Gulf State oil refineries are exporting US oil overseas? I wonder if this oil was harvested from Federal lands?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
According to NPR prices are rising in the US because the Gulf State oil refineries are exporting US oil overseas? I wonder if this oil was harvested from Federal lands?
The short answer is probably not. most of the gulf state refineries process either oil from Texas (mostly private lands) or offshore oil from the Gulf. The US has become a net exporter of oil and depending on how much development is allowed could become the worlds largest.

The relationship of crude to refineries is complex - a petrolium engineer could probably explain it, I can't but suffice to say that all crude cannot be processed through all refineries. And all refineries are not set up to distribute refined products just anywhere they might please.

Cmiles1985

Of the refineries I deal with, they process a combination of Russian, Venezuelan, Canadian and Eagle Ford (local to south-central Texas) crudes. Most gulf coast refineries (which equates to the vast majority of our country's refining capacity) are designed and optimized for very heavy (read not American) crudes. All politics aside, a pipeline from Canada to Houston would have been ideal for safe transport of crude oil. As for now, Canadian crudes are shipped via rail to Mexico then barged into the Gulf coast refineries.

It is true that a lot of finished product is sent overseas, but that is mostly Diesel. Cost of refining to make Diesel/Kerosene vs Gasoline (or premium/alkylate) depends in the refinery's design, the crude slate and how the processes are optimized. Down here, Diesel proves to be more profitable...especially the superior Diesel that European countries require. Therefore, refiners balance what they make to optimize cash flow and increase the value of their stock shares.

The refineries in Leroy's area likely process local (Pennsylvania/New York) shale oil along with heavy Candian oil for a lighter blend. I have stayed out of the processing business of Delaware City and Paulsboro refineries for a couple of years now, so this is just speculation based on their design.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Of the refineries I deal with, they process a combination of Russian, Venezuelan, Canadian and Eagle Ford (local to south-central Texas) crudes. Most gulf coast refineries (which equates to the vast majority of our country's refining capacity) are designed and optimized for very heavy (read not American) crudes. All politics aside, a pipeline from Canada to Houston would have been ideal for safe transport of crude oil. As for now, Canadian crudes are shipped via rail to Mexico then barged into the Gulf coast refineries.

It is true that a lot of finished product is sent overseas, but that is mostly Diesel. Cost of refining to make Diesel/Kerosene vs Gasoline (or premium/alkylate) depends in the refinery's design, the crude slate and how the processes are optimized. Down here, Diesel proves to be more profitable...especially the superior Diesel that European countries require. Therefore, refiners balance what they make to optimize cash flow and increase the value of their stock shares.

The refineries in Leroy's area likely process local (Pennsylvania/New York) shale oil along with heavy Candian oil for a lighter blend. I have stayed out of the processing business of Delaware City and Paulsboro refineries for a couple of years now, so this is just speculation based on their design.

The Delaware refineries seem to process mostly foreign oil at least they are located such that the crude arrives by ship. The refinery that I know of in Southern New Jersey is also receives it's crude by ship.

I must admit to being ignorant as to the source but I used to see the tankers going by while boating and a court fight between Delaware and NJ over where a pier could be built has been in the news here so I do know most of the crude arrives in tankers.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Natural Gas

New York and PA don't produce a great deal of crude maybe a little over 500K barrels a month. It is a very "sweet" crude though.

Pennsylvania and New York are sitting on top of a sea of natural gas - PA is extracting it but due to the political climate NY at this point is not. If NY ever starts extracting we'll have a very well to do daughter.

One of the articles I read today says we still bring in 50% of our oil so we are actually not a net exporter I don't think. I don't know much about it except I drive a Prius for a reason. I do wish we had alternative means of transportation but there is not much of a selection that is for sure.

Top Bottom