Corian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
We just located another stash of Corian of various sizes and colors, equivalent to 10 sheets. Couldn't pass it up for almost no cost.
We are picking it up tomorrow and I'll try to get some photos.
We use a lot of solid surface and are always looking for a deal.
We have passed out cards all over and we get a call almost weekly.
Most places have just small pieces that we can't utilize, so we pass on those, but sometimes we find the large lots.

I've been cutting a lot of this stuff for Christmas orders and I really like how it cuts and finishes.

After the first of the year, we plan to upgrade our software and step into the 2.5D and 3D world, and hopefully adding a fourth axis. A steep learning curve for me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

There's a Home Depot here in town, and they have an "in-house" installation crew that does all their countertop installations for them. Their contact inside of Home Depot assures me that they have off-cuts and waste pieces all the time that I could get my hands on for free or very cheap! The only problem for me is that their shop is in Witchita Falls ... a little outside the range of my misbehaving car, so I can't even check it out at the moment.

I check the other hard surface countertop installation crews locally every now and then to see what I can get my paws on ... I did find some gorgeous imitation marble countertop/plaque material, but it's got bubbles and voids in it... :(

mecompco

I've got ~150 Corian blanks for sale on the forum--no one's been interested. Haven't turned one yet, but that is tomorrow's project--got one squared and ready to turn.

Skie_M

Heh .... if they didn't give away Corian 2" x 2" x 3/8" sample squares at every Home Depot for free, you'ld likely have a ton of buyers! :)

In fact, I picked up 6 samples today from Home Depot, while poking around about their in-house installation crew ... address and contact numbers, ect...

I also picked up a few pieces of quartz, just for fun. Yes, I know, you can't turn this stuff without specialty tools, and I'ld likely break my carbide tool if I tried it .... but I have some diamond wheels laying about ... ;)

Terredax

Banned
I don't, or haven't, turned any Corian.
We are using it for larger items such as cutting boards, plaques, spoon rests, candle holders, trivets and the list goes on. Also, my brother makes tops for counters, bars, tables, etc.

I think I have posted photos of some of the cutting boards here somewhere.

All of our local big box stores contract all installations, and not just counter tops. They don't even have samples in the store, just a catalog.
A lot of people look to cabinet shops and counter top fabricators for the cut-offs. If someone is looking for small pieces or amounts of Corian, also look at remodels, or habitat stores. It can also be found on Ebay for decent prices, but with pieces larger than flat rate boxes, the shipping gets expensive. The stuff is heavy.

The guy we got the Corian from today, says he has access to as much as we want at the same pricing. We are making arrangements to store 500 sheets and will have it delivered around this time next month. If we can find the space for more of it, we will certainly get more.

Terredax

Banned
We received another call today for a skid of mixed solid surface.
During the call, the gentleman asked what kind of items we use the material for. So, we took some photos and a couple of small items along for him to see and now we have a batch of decorative cutting boards and trivets to add to our to-do list.
We got the full skid (stacked approximately 6' tall) in exchange for the cutting boards and trivets. We believe we made out on the deal.

We are getting quite a few pieces of material built up from areas being cut out, like the hand holes on the cutting boards. I will attempt to glue them up in a quilt pattern and make something from it. It could be an interesting bread board or cheese board.

Top Bottom