Copier, Printer, Scanner, Fax????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

If you had to buy a new all in one Printer, Scanner, Copier, and Fax injet printer today what brand and model will you buy. My HP finally gave up. It figures too because I just bought new ink for it. It does not turn on any more. Tried unplugging to reset both ends of power chord. Disconnected computer cable and still nothing. I tried hitting it too:) Probably about 6 years old. Rather not have wireless, heard too many horror stories there. Prefer injet over laser for cheaper ink cartridges. Make lots of copies. I use all aspects of these devices so can not be without one or other. Does anyone know of a new unit that uses HP 02 ink cartridges??

If you are giving me brand names please give me model numberstoo. I know all the brands out there but do not know models. thanks.

I will take your list and any things to specifically look for. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

It seems that the cheapest printers have the most expensive ink, make sure you price the supplies with the printer. Look at price per copy estimates. I've had HP, Lexmark, and Epson. Lexmark gave me the most problems. I really like having the WiFi capabilities. Security can be set up so only those on your WiFi can print to it. Makes it convenient for guest or printing from a tablet or phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jttheclockman

It seems that the cheapest printers have the most expensive ink, make sure you price the supplies with the printer. Look at price per copy estimates. I've had HP, Lexmark, and Epson. Lexmark gave me the most problems. I really like having the WiFi capabilities. Security can be set up so only those on your WiFi can print to it. Makes it convenient for guest or printing from a tablet or phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

No tablet, no Iphone, no smart phone, no wifi in this house. So plug in all the way. Still use a tower computer and flip phone.

Lucky2

John, I think you should purchase a Canon multi printer, they have separate ink cartridges. So, rather then through out a cartridge that is just out of black ink, and that still has colored ink left in them. You just through out the black cartridge, and put a new black only cartridge back in. The separate brand cartridges aren't very expensive, and after market brands are even cheaper. I always have blanks on hand, because they're so cheap to buy. I couldn't afford to keep the multi-color cartridges on hand, they were just to expensive. The model I own is an MX 870, but it is years old and I don't know if they make that model any longer. But any multi purpose Canon printer should be just as good a printer, or cross check to see what is comparable to the MX870 now.
Len
Len

randyrls

John; The printer companies sell their printers dirt cheap and make the money on the cartridges. BUT you can refill cartridges cheaply. I've done this for years. It involves drilling a "fill hole" in the cartridge, putting in a silicone plug. Get the bottles of ink, syringes, and silicone plugs (and several spare plugs). Wear gloves while refilling.

Tip: get a separate syringe for each color and label them with the color.

My printer is an HP 6500A plus.
Checkout https://www.bchtechnologies.com/

Happy New Year!

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Fax???? What's that??? :confused:

John, first off you need to join the 20th Century......then when you get used to that, have a go at the 21st century..it ain't so scary after all.:biggrin:

Modernise and save our planet...:tongue:

WriteON

Just bought an HP 6978. New to me but I like it a lot. Can print from the iPhone or laptop if I'm in a different room. Have not used the fax.
The price seems to be the same wherever it is sold ...I bought it from BH Photo...free ship/no tax. $99.99.
Nothing negative about wireless...

EDIT I see you have no wi-fi. You might get hooked up one day. It's not so bad.

Last edited:
I'm partial to the EPSON brand of printers... I bought one of their bottom of the line printers this last time.. I had one from Dell and another from HP that lasted awhile, but have always been more partial to Epson.... mine is an XP-430... printer, copier, scanner and maybe fax, not sure as I don't really need fax...It also wireless so my lap top connects to it from anywhere in the house.... about $40 and the ink is about $40 for all four colors. The cartridges are individuals so if you run out of one color you only have to buy that color....You may need something more elaborate for your needs, but take a look at the EPSON line.

WIDirt

I have a canon C755 multipath from the early 2000's that still works, I can still get ink, etc. Only problem is its size. Doesn't fit on my desk anymore....

It is currently in storage until we are out of this apartment, then it will be reinstated to its glorious use. I currently use an Epson NX-420. Scanner, copier, printer, but no fax. It is wireless, and as was stated earlier in this thread, I have my network locked down tight, so no worries there.

Best bet inkwise is to figure out which inks are used in multiple printers and get one of the printers using them. That way you have pretty good insurance that your particular inks will be around awhile.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Fax???? What's that??? :confused:

John, first off you need to join the 20th Century......then when you get used to that, have a go at the 21st century..it ain't so scary after all.:biggrin:

Modernise and save our planet...:tongue:

You need to spread that word more often. You do not know how many faxes I get. Do not knock the good. All that is new is not good. :)

bmachin

John,

Your specifications are a little bit general, but assuming that you need mostly grayscale scanning with occasional color and the same ratio for printing, you might consider buying a multifunction monochrome laser unit and adding a cheap color printer to go with it.

I know that you said you don't like the cost of toner, but on a per page basis it's cheaper than ink generally. I have an older Brother multifunction monochrome laser unit (scanner, copier, printer, fax) that I bought several years ago. May be out of your budget (was probably 250-300 bucks at the time) but it did include a color scanner. The scanner function is very good in monochrome, but very slow in color.

Brother is really quite good with their multifunction laser machines and if color scanning is not an issue for you their pure monochrome units start at somewhere around $140 at Amazon I believe.

Just another option FWIW

Bill

Thud 54963

I also switched to Canon

I used to be a HP purist. Started having problems with quality of photo quality prints on a photo printer. Switched to a Canon MG7720. Much better print quality and the software that came with it works well on my Mac.

Akula

I have a Canon and it's been dependable for many years. Ink was kinda expensive but I just went to a local big box computer store and they refilled on the spot for a few dollars. I use a laser printer now but the old Canon will work if I need it again.

monophoto

Fax? Who uses that (other than perhaps lawyers).

I've always had HP and I've always been pleased with their performance. My current machine is a printer-only Office Jet Pro 8100. I like the fact that I can print from my phone (if I wanted to - which hardly ever happens). I also have an HP 4070 ScanJet, but if one or the other gives up the ghost, I may opt for a single unit just to conserve on office space.

Printer manufacturers follow the Gillette Razor school of marketing - sell the basic machine at rock bottom prices, and then charge a fortune for the disposables. I've never tried refilling cartridges myself, but I did try Staples-brand recycled cartridges once. Very disappointed with the results. Wife and I have simply opted to always use 'draft mode' to conserve on ink.

Herb G

Try Consumers Reports.
Any second hand knowledge will be hopelessly out of date, considering the speed of advancement in the computer world.
That's the facts, Jack.
:wink:

jttheclockman

I know fax is something that is not used much any more but if you look at the machines out there they are still being offered alot in all brands so it can not hurt. I send fax to businesses so I have paper copies in hand and so do they. It still works as well as paying for goods with good old green dollars. You should all try it some time. :) Lot less stolen identities. :)

I print alot of copies for my scrolling business. I do not make pens much. Scrolling is my main business. I need color for backgrounds and for decal work here as well as photos. I have had good luck with this HP copier but it just gave up and quit. I will take apart to see if i can fix. I tried aftermarket cartridges and tried filling my own. Not the same quality so that stopped quickly. I do not waste ink from dried out because I use almost every day. I try to copy in black as much as I can. I go to FedX to make large amount of duplicate copies for patterns to save wear and tear on my home unit. I also enlarge copies there too because they can print out blueprint size paper.

Too old to start trying new innovations. I am content with what I know and what I can do. I will let the world change around me. I am fine.

I have tried so many times here to get you all to change your thinking when it comes to making pens and have failed so I stopped pushing for new and innovative ideas. You all seem to like what you are doing too. so be it.

jttheclockman

Try Consumers Reports.
Any second hand knowledge will be hopelessly out of date, considering the speed of advancement in the computer world.
That's the facts, Jack.
:wink:
been doing this. But first hand knowledge can not beat some written words.

gtriever

Fax is used quite often in government and public safety. I worked for over 20 years in the latter, and printers were a major portion of a 911 dispatch center. We used quite a few different brands, but the best performance I ever saw came from the Canon line as far as maintenance and length of service.

zig613

John,

For the past four years I have been using a multi-functional (scan, copy, FAX, print) colour laser printer by Brother (model MFC 9130CW). I use it for my business to print reports, maps and colour aerial photos. I would definitely recommend it. They come on sale at Best Buy 2-3 times a year. The only feature I should have gotten was the ability to print duplex. I use the Brother OEM toners because I haven't had much success using the non-OEM toners.

Wade

Last edited:

TonyL

I like my Canon MX 900 series BUT it doesn't do well with cartridge refills.

Top Bottom