A Contest for ...GEORGE (Robutacion)!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Moderators...Please move this if it should be elsewhere.

OK George... Here's the deal. The timber came from you! Let's see if you can identify.

Rules: George gets ONE GUESS! He Wins - I'll send him a bag of Genuine Ohio Burr Oak Acorn Tops (from My In-Laws Yard). Kind of "furry."
NOBODY post until George Does! I'll watch and try to be prompt.

If George get's it wrong, then it's an open contest for anyone! I'll send a box of blanks of my choice free.

The Timber came from George early this year. It has a very faint number on the back of the unused piece, so it's on George's List. It was a 2" x 2" x 6" spindle blank. I specifically asked for a bunch with as many inclusions and open holes as possible from George.

Last Thanksgiving I made 32 Mini Birdhouses for my Family... I have orders for 45 this year... No pens for a while!

OH... George's Timber is the Birdhouse, not the cap, or bottom finial.

I'm easy - I'll take just the Timber Name. Don't worry about Cut letters!

Lets have some fun!

Attachments

• IMG_1535.jpg
    IMG_1535.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1536.jpg
    IMG_1536.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1537.jpg
    IMG_1537.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1538.jpg
    IMG_1538.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 147
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hummmm, let me see...! :rolleyes:

Are you sure it came from me...??? nah...., don't know, never seen anything like that...!:eek:

I would say...! Fig wood...?:confused:

Oh, my postal address is, George Valentine, PO box...! Hold on a minute, you know my address, already, huh...???:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well, it certainly came from you! No doubts Mate. :)

Sorry, Does not match your list. :eek:

OK folks, it open for the vultures!

Just the name!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hey George, you're a good sport!

Burr Oak Caps will be sent anyway! :tongue:

Let's see how this plays out...

It's early, so folks are...:sleepy:

George feel free to add hints, I'll PM the faint #.

Last edited:

robutacion

Sorry Glen. Came from George's Lolly-shop!

It's on a list from early this year - 78 names.

Yeah, is from my stables, guys and gals...!

That list has only increased by 3 species since, I have another 3 or 4 that are still drying so, no one saw yet, some I have no idea what they are but, I will find out.

There has been no new wood species collected/salvaged/cut and brought to my yard since late last year (2013), I rarely touched a chain saw since, I may have blown a head gasket in my engine, the engine has no power...!:eek::)

I'm not sure if I'm allow to give a hint or not, oh well, here it goes anyway, Every time I put the name of this wood on the Customs forms, I get into troubles with lots of questions...!:rolleyes::wink:

Good luck

PS: About those Oak caps, I knew that i would get some regardless so, please yourself Mark, lets see what sort of Resifills I can make out of them, huh...???:biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Well, there he goes another hint...!

That's an Australian Native (with a name like that, could not possibly have come from nowhere else...!:biggrin:), in fact, its a very Aussie wood species...!:rolleyes:

Cheers
George

Bear-31

I'm going to go with Platypus Gum. I think Coral Tree would give you some trouble in customs....but couldn't find any good examples of the wood coloring that matched what he had above.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
For the winner... Do we have one yet George?

(Yea, the sly old dog knew the answer right away - he just wanted to drag out the fun!).

George can drag it out and announce the winner, they can PM me and off it goes!

Made room in my drawers:

Steampunk Zen: Marko 50
Steampunk Sierra: ME!!!
7 Seas: BSea (Slabsblanksboards.com)
Red Cypress: Scott Butler (Slabsblanksboards.com)
Black Ash Burl: mrburls
Unstabilized Buckeye Burl: A box on my floor...
#72C - ? : Old Fox
Halloween Acrylic: Bear Tooth Woods
Stabilized Spalted Maple: Fro my yard - Argo13 stabilized for me
# 57 Australian Peppercorn Tree: George himself!
and 2 Sierra Kits from Exotic Blanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1544.jpg
    IMG_1544.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 119

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'd take a picture of the bottom of the blank to show you the number... But I just turned it into a bird house...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Oh well, when sleeping beauty gets up he'll check if there's a winner... Hopefully.

fitty

Scarlet Kunzea shrub wood

If I'm allowed a second guess, it'd have to be Radiata Pine based on it's scientific name. I'm sure if I was customs and saw Pinus radiata, I'd raise an eyebrow.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well folks, George must be taking a needed nap so I'll put the suspense to rest,
congratulations to Bear-31... Platypus Gum!

Send me a PM with your address, and thanks for have some fun with George!

You'll get the caps also George - not much, but have fun!

Mark

When I set up at the Farmer's Market in Knoxville, my booth is under a tree that has acorn caps like those... we get pelted all day long by either the caps or the acorns... the local gardeners here call the trees Chestnut Oaks... not sure myself and don't dispute them, but those acorns hurt when your sitting quietly back of the booth waiting for someone to give you money in exchange for one of my bowls or peppermills... I don't carry many pens anymore.

robutacion

My sincere apologies, I have only checked in on this thread, just a few minutes ago, and is now 5 minutes before midnight, here...!

Well, I think that, you deserved to close the game, after all you started it, huh...???:wink::biggrin:

I reckon that Bear-31 post, "I'm going to go with Platypus Gum. I think Coral Tree would give you some trouble in customs....but couldn't find any good examples of the wood coloring that matched what he had above.
was a great response, he thought of the Coral tree, the very way custom see the word "Platypus gum" they think is some part of the animal that I'm sending in a box so, after many questions about it, if I have to mention the wood species (common names) I make sure I put the word "WOOD" in big letters, that seemed to resolve the issue...!:biggrin:

I'm not surprised that you didn't find any woods that look like that, I have cut 3 or 4 Platypus Gum trees (younger trees, less than 50 years old) and none of them get even close to some logs I got from my auto-mechanic friend, from an old tree that a storm blown off the ground, many years ago.

He cut it all up and burn most of it as firewood, he hired a big chainsaw at the time to take care of the trunk, he left a few logs cut large, as he was sick and tired of cutting wood for 3 solid days (this was a very large tree) so, he decided that was enough, he would cut them smaller one day when he would run out of wood but, when he did, he asked me to cut it with my big chainsaw but, after I sliced the first log (very tough wood) and saw what was inside, I stop cutting and made a deal with him were I would replace the volume of his Gum with some other Gum that I had already cut up for firewood, in my storage paddock.

I knew that he would have little choice, I didn't cut his big logs, he had to saw big enough to handle it and he was also short on free time to deal with the wood so, the offer to have his big logs replaced with already cut firewood at no extra cost, was too good to deny...!:biggrin: Well, sometimes a man gotta do what a man gotta do, otherwise, none of you guys would have any of these goodies to enjoy...! Sounds fair, huh...???:wink:

This old wood has some crystalised gum resin veins, something only very old trees on this species, produce, the timber mills hate it as the slabs are often spoiled with these veins running through it making the slabs very fragile (80%) separate after slabbed but, for smaller projects, one couldn't ask for more or better...!

One could easily call it "Flame wood", certain parts of the wood produce colourations that if capture right, are simply stunning, don't you agree, just look at these pics;

101_0886.jpg101_1872.JPG100_2413.jpg018.JPG

Anyway, congratulations Bear-31, you prize provided by Mark, is a great group of blanks, have some fun with them and lets see what you endup with, after pens done...!

Once again, sorry folks for not replying earlier...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom