Computer problems grow.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Today I tried getting on line as normal but Firefox is not allowing me. I had to switch back to IE8 in order to get on line. This format is jumpy and slow. Any ideas???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I just uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled it and I get the same message that it has crashed and can not open my tabs and files.

If i can not use Firefox any more as my browser is there another efficient one that is supported. IE8 is not supported any more.

Do not know why this just happened today. :confused:

randyrls

Can you start firefox? Go into Task manager and make sure it is not still running.
Then Hold down the "Shift" key and start Firefox in "Safe Mode"

First; Clean Firefox browser cache.
Under "Tools", "Options", Select tab "Advanced", then click on "Network".
Clear out the cache or both caches depending on the version of Firefox you have.

Then take a look at the cache size limit. If it is larger than about 50 Megabytes, change it to that size. Browsers often make the cache too large.

Hope this helps....

jttheclockman

Randy thanks. I just do not know why one day you wake up and the very thing you have been using for years now does not work :biggrin: I may try this if I have problems with Chrome. I have downloaded Chrome and it seems to be working just fine.

Thanks all for the suggestion.

jttheclockman

I think the issue is that you're using XP still, right John?

You're going to find more and more bugs appear, as the software you use outgrows your old platform...

You are correct and that too is what I am afraid of. I just may be forced to change. Just trying to keep this thing running.

CREID

I still use XP on an old laptop that I use sometimes. Chrome works great on it and is faster than IE. And Jt you better get the problem fixed cause if you don't and you disappear we will be forced to talk about ya.:biggrin:

Curt

If you are forced to move and are ready to change, get win 7 or 10 I have used both and 10 is "acceptable" but not ideal (privacy issues). If you don't mind tinkering try Ubuntu.

jttheclockman

I still use XP on an old laptop that I use sometimes. Chrome works great on it and is faster than IE. And Jt you better get the problem fixed cause if you don't and you disappear we will be forced to talk about ya.:biggrin:

Curt

I am sure that goes on even when I am still here. I have made some ignore lists for sure. :)

If you are forced to move and are ready to change, get win 7 or 10 I have used both and 10 is "acceptable" but not ideal (privacy issues). If you don't mind tinkering try Ubuntu.

Now I am no computer wiz at all and that is why I ask these questions here. But correct me if i am wrong. Is it not Win7 is older than XP??? If XP is not supported any more is Win. 7 still supported??? I have heard too many problems with Win10.

As I mentioned with recommendations from here I have Chrome installed and it is doing great. It is a whole lot better than IE8 .Firefox was good too but it quit on me.

sbwertz

What version of xp are you running? You have to have at least service pack 2 and preferably service pack 3 to run firefox now.

I would wait until close to the end of the 1 year free upgrade window to upgrade to 10. My husband just couldn't wait and he upgraded a couple of months ago. He has had a lot of minor problems (task bar won't hide, sound will work with headphones or speakers but not both...have to go in an manually switch from one to the other...won't switch automatically when you plug in the headphones, etc.) That will give MS close to a year to get all the little bugs out.

I actually bought a little $99 refurbed netbook just to learn to use 10 so I can support my client base (I'm a computer consultant) without putting 10 on my "real" computers.

Last edited:

sbwertz

Curt

I am sure that goes on even when I am still here. I have made some ignore lists for sure. :)

Now I am no computer wiz at all and that is why I ask these questions here. But correct me if i am wrong. Is it not Win7 is older than XP??? If XP is not supported any more is Win. 7 still supported??? I have heard too many problems with Win10.

As I mentioned with recommendations from here I have Chrome installed and it is doing great. It is a whole lot better than IE8 .Firefox was good too but it quit on me.

XP was followed by Vista (awful) Then came Win7 (Solid). Then came Win 8 and 8.1 (perfectly awful) and now 10 (Will be very good when fully debugged, IMHO). If you have XP you have to do a complete clean install to win7, you cannot "upgrade" it. You have to backup all your data, reformat the HD and install Win7. You can then upgrade free to 10 for a year.

Grampy122

Something to try

You might want to try this: Before you start firefox right click on the icon. Go to Properties entry and click on it. Click on the compatibility tab. You might try clicking on the entry "Run this program in compatibility mode for". When I had a problem with firefox I had to click on the tab "Disable Desktop Composition. Good luck

Gordie

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I like the XP style - which is why I like windows 7 as well, as it's similar... WIndows 10 is way, way too much like windows 8 for my taste. I like programs, not apps, and I know how to find them - I don't need search assistance and tiles, and all that other jazz...

jttheclockman

I have XP 64 professional. Firefox must have been causing the loss of server problems also because since I switched to Chrome I have not had one server loss problem. It is working quite well. If there is updates packages maybe you can tell me where to download them. Thanks all for the help. I too like simple and when I had all kinds of problems with IE8 Sharon helped me get Firefox up and running and it was great till a couple days ago.

Top Bottom