Computer help...desperate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Earlier this morning, I was cruising the internet with my desktop that is wired to my router with no problems. Suddenly, nothing will load, just get a white page with the message "Server not found....Firefox can't find server". I'm running Win 7 and the little box in the lower right hand corner that indicates connection shows a yellow yield sign. Try my laptop which is wireless and it works perfectly. I go back to the DT and try using Windows diagnostics to repair the problem and I get "Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration".
Checked the IP of the DT and compared it to the LT and they are different.
I'd be very appreciative if someone would call me at 2814891626 and walk me through correcting the problem.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Monty:
Go to network connections under control panel. Disable the network adapter. Then, shut down the computer, restart it and then re-enable the NIC (network card).

If this doesn't work, uninstall the NIC and reinstall it.

Akula

Or have you tried a different port on the router?

Try another Ethernet wire.

Check the Network card in device manager.

Or deleting the Network card, rebooting and let Windows find the card and reload the device drivers.

Check if you have a anti-virus firewall

Try a different browser

Finally with this information only, Open CMD go to Start > Search: Run > Type CMD > Type ipconfig /release > then wait > after the _ stops then type > ipconfig /renew

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
After spending about an hour on the phone with Andy, we are 99% sure it's the network card in the DT since we can hardwire the LT and it will work with the cable.
Soooo, it's off to get a new card.
Thanks to all for your suggestions.

arioux

I'd just unplug the router and then plug it back in... (simplest solution that usually works)

Second

If it doen't work, shut evething down, unplugging your router and restart everything starting from the wall and up waiting that one is completly up before starting the next one.(Cable or DSL modem, router, Pc)

Last edited:

Justturnin

Have you tried opening up the Box and reseating the Network Card, assuming it is not integrated into the MotherBoard. Do you get any lights on the RJ45 connection on the PC?

turner.curtis

What is the ip that Windows sees for the NIC, is it a 169. subnet? if so that is the default ip for that card manufacturer. If this is the case, and with Windows 7, I have seen many many issues similar. What I would suggest as a first step is to go to the Network and Sharing center, then on the left side Click the change Adapter settings. This will take you to your NIC interface settings. Right click on the LAN connection and disable, then try re-enabling that interface. From there open a new command prompt and run an ipconfig and see if it is still a default address. If it is then the next step i would take is to statically set an IP with in your subnet. Easiest way is go to your laptop and open a cmd prompt perform an ipconfig and see what the subnet is, I assert is is probably a 192.x.x.x, 172.x.x.x, or a 10.x.x.x. From there on the desktop go back to the network adapter for the LAN right click and go to properties, accept the UAC prompt and then double click Internet Protocol V4 (TCP). This will open a new settings pane choose the Use the Following IP. If you are a 192.x.x.x network then fill in the IP with 192.x.x.252, set your subnet to 255.255.255.0 and then set the default gateway to the same as your laptop, probably 192.x.x.1. and give it another try.

turner.curtis

Actually I would try this before statically setting an address, sorry synapse misfire...

open a command prompt and then run this command with out the quotes
"netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt"

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
What is the ip that Windows sees for the NIC, is it a 169. subnet? if so that is the default ip for that card manufacturer. If this is the case, and with Windows 7, I have seen many many issues similar. What I would suggest as a first step is to go to the Network and Sharing center, then on the left side Click the change Adapter settings. This will take you to your NIC interface settings. Right click on the LAN connection and disable, then try re-enabling that interface. From there open a new command prompt and run an ipconfig and see if it is still a default address. If it is then the next step i would take is to statically set an IP with in your subnet. Easiest way is go to your laptop and open a cmd prompt perform an ipconfig and see what the subnet is, I assert is is probably a 192.x.x.x, 172.x.x.x, or a 10.x.x.x. From there on the desktop go back to the network adapter for the LAN right click and go to properties, accept the UAC prompt and then double click Internet Protocol V4 (TCP). This will open a new settings pane choose the Use the Following IP. If you are a 192.x.x.x network then fill in the IP with 192.x.x.252, set your subnet to 255.255.255.0 and then set the default gateway to the same as your laptop, probably 192.x.x.1. and give it another try.
Andy walked me through something very similar to this and it would not let us change any of the settings.

PenMan1

The problem is that even after uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting the OS will reinstall the NIC. The problem is that the NIC won't even configure a 169.x.x.x address and will not even pull up the configuration, or even time out. On "ipconfig" command at the CMD line, it hard boots the computer.

Router and modem(one unit ATT 2wire) work just fine. In fact, using the same cat5 out of the 2Wire to laptop it configured perfectly and quickly.

This problem has to be in the desktop, and as far as I could trobleshoot via telephone indicates defective NIC card.

Additionally, Monty states that this same Desktop has already destroyed 2 NIC cards prior to this incident. I suspect a power problem somewhere going to the slot housing the NIC card. Advised to obtain new NIC card and install in a different PCI slot.

Last edited:

PenMan1

Ip for laptop is 192.168.1.70
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.254

I'm sure the problem is NIC (or at least hardware issues on the deskto) trying to access it reboots the computer.

THE ONLY thing I didnt try is rebooting in safe mode. I saw no reason for this as I could delete the hardware from device Mgr.

Last edited:

turner.curtis

Darn, that bytes... Yes if it will not even pickup the local address of 169.x.x.x you are in a pickle. If this is the 3rd NIC it has eaten I agree that there has to be some other issue. Other than issues with the the underlying hardware, what about the switch? Does it support PoE? I have seen some devices that end up passing too much voltage due to bad / failed PoE circuitry as well.

PenMan1

The AT&T 2Wire wireless router/dsl phone modem should NOT support PoE. I haven't looked at the back of one of these in a while (because I hate Uverse), but the last time I looked at one, there was no way to put in a CAT6 plug. Even if it would plug the router, it shouldnt plug the NIC. HERE SHOULD NOT BE POWER OVER ANY TWISTER PAIR.

BUT, now that you mention it, that would explain the eating of NIC CARDS! Monty (like many folks) is running one hardwired computer and one wireless. Errant voltage over one twisted pair (perhaps from a power surge over the phone line) could be burning up NIC cards without causing other problems.

I should have advised Monty to get the more expensive wireless NIC:)

Last edited:

turner.curtis

Agreed it should not have any pwr on the pairs. although when circuits go, especially with less than adequate engineering put in the design of the device, I have seen crazier things happen. Anyway, Good Luck with it!

PenMan1

If it belonged to me, I'd jack up the 2wire and drive a new Cisco under it.Unfortunately for Monty, UVerse uses exclusively 2Wire Company Rented And Programmed devices. The IT slang for this switch is ATT C.R.A.P.

Last edited:

turner.curtis

LMAO, I hear you there... Fortunately for me I have not had to deal with any of their stuff. I would agree with Cisco as well although I have been working with some Juniper gear lately and have taken a liking to it. The downside on Cisco is that most people would be so flabbergasted from the manual and would have to fall back to the ASDM or a gui to config the things.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
The AT&T 2Wire wireless router/dsl phone modem should NOT support PoE. I haven't looked at the back of one of these in a while (because I hate Uverse), but the last time I looked at one, there was no way to put in a CAT6 plug. Even if it would plug the router, it shouldnt plug the NIC. HERE SHOULD NOT BE POWER OVER ANY TWISTER PAIR.

BUT, now that you mention it, that would explain the eating of NIC CARDS! Monty (like many folks) is running one hardwired computer and one wireless. Errant voltage over one twisted pair (perhaps from a power surge over the phone line) could be burning up NIC cards without causing other problems.

I was looking at a wireless one. Any suggestions on brand?

PenMan1

I was looking at a wireless one. Any suggestions on brand?

I love the Cisco products. The home version of Cisco is Linksys.
I think your AT&T router only supports Wireless G or Maybe N single band, so there is no need to spend over $30 or $40. AND, if you do decide to take hammer to the desktop the wireless adapter (USB) will move to any computer.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Well, wouldn't you know it, computer was off all night. This morning I opened the box, pulled the card and put it in the other slot, fired the box up and the d*** thing connected. Guess I don't need a new card after all.

Again I want to thank everyone for their help and suggestions.

GoatRider

Might be heat problems then. Leaving it off overnight may have let it cool off completely. When it heats up, it might start getting flakey again. Keep an eye on it.

glycerine

GoatRider said:
Might be heat problems then. Leaving it off overnight may have let it cool off completely. When it heats up, it might start getting flakey again. Keep an eye on it.

Tis true. Make sure all of your fans are in working order...

Top Bottom