collet chuck opinions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wickford

Howdy All,

Just looking for some opinions on collet chucks...I was checking out the Beall, Axminster, Woodcraft, and PSI chucks and they all look good, but the price on the PSI and Woodcraft are so much lower than the other two, I'm leaning towards one of them (specifically the woodcraft)...

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations good or bad on these collet chucks? I'll probably be using it mostly for pen turning, and bottle stoppers...

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

I have the Woodcraft one and I liked it so well I bought a Beall after using it for about two months. They are just not as precise. Also it is easier to get different size collets for the Beall than for the Woodcraft one. Now I've heard good about the PSI one and I think it uses the same size collett as the Beall. I may have purchased one but I don't think it come for any size spindle other than 1X8 tpi.

Last edited:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Check out 800Watt on Ebay. Perhaps a little slow, but the best value. Get the largest set you can afford. My only mistake was to start with the smaller set. You will find many uses for all the sizes.

jcollazo

The Beall and a set of ER32 collets from 800Watt is the way to go. If you later decide to get a metal lathe you'll also be able to use the collets.

The Beall, hands down. Better precision, easy to access additional collets, and super technical support. J R Beall is an IAP member, as well, so you don't have to worry about "misplacing" the customer service address and phone no./website info.

Daniel

I have the Beall, And one from 800watt. I would recommend 800watt for bang for your buck. as others said get the biggest set you don't know what you can do with it until you have it. I got just the chuck from Beall and swap the collets between the two. when my son is in the shop I wish I had two sets of collets.

Top Bottom