Cold?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Rick, a photo question, what camera do you use? I appears to work rather well in your local temps. Beautiful photos you keep sending. Makes my bride want to pack it all in and head North West. Not a bad idea.
Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

Tracy is actually a 3rd generation photographer, she still is an amateur but the rest of the family makes there living from photography. They have all kinds of cameras but the work horses are all Canons. The northern lights shots I posted a while back were shot with my wife's digital rebel xt. I am NOTORIOUSLY hard on gear, but I needed a camera to take with my on alpine hunts so she got me a Power shot D780 is what I think it says on the camera body....Kinda hard to tell but I'll get to that. All the shots in this thread with the exception of the truck were done with it. It's one of those little point and shoot cameras with a bit of zoom, but it's 12 megapixel, real close to the resolution of my wife's professional grade camera.

Thing is for most stuff I can't tell what came from which camera and my little red point and shoot isn't exactly in new condition. First time out with it was a bear hunt, I dropped it in a boulder field! Damn thing bounced about 6 or 8 times before it finally came to a stop. The lens housing was so bent it wouldn't retract! After about 30 minutes of wondering if I should bother to go home and face the wrath of Tracy for busting my brand new camera, I took a deep breath closed my eyes and used both thumbs to force the lens closed. Bit more pressure and it sat somewhat even with the body of the camera. I have had to open the lens shutter covers manually ever since. That's not the last time it was dropped......not by far! The zoom quit when I took a swim while duck hunting with the boy, yup my trusty red camera was in my shirt pocket. Got home covered in swamp muck and soaking wet, opened up the camera to get the card and the battery and threw the camera in a drawer. Couple of weeks later I was about to throw it away when I thought "what could one more try hurt"? Slapped in a new battery and shazam! It worked, no zoom but hey it still takes pictures!

Thing is with any of the cameras we always have an extra battery or two and keep them warm by carrying them in one of our inside pockets, my trusty little red camera is no exception. The big cameras last fairly well, my trusty little red camera freezes up quick! The ones of our evening ride? Ya it froze solid with the lens extended right after my son finished taking my picture. So in the negative 20's you have about 12 photos before you have to warm it up again or call it quits.

I have always wanted a medium format Hoselblad for land scape work in the mountains and Tracy has always laughed when I mentioned one!

Last edited:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I went through the carwash today and the water froze before they could dry it off my truck....LOL...I'm thinking that tomorrow may be a great day to pull the bike out and take it for a ride, it always runs better in the colder weather.

How did you make out in the October storm? My son in Cheshire, CT was without power for almost a week. They have 2 fireplaces, so they were OK there, but they are on a well and water was a problem. He keeps a rainbarrel and used the snowmelt from the rainbarrel to flush the toilets. After Irene they keep a lot of bottled water on hand for drinking.
Lost power for about 10 hours two days after the storm when they shut down the grid for repairs, otherwise i lost a few big branches on my giant Magnolia tree in my front yard. The upside of it was that the branches are mostly curly wood. I have 2 generators and live near the top of a hill so I alwayss seem to come out okay. My parents didn't have power for 10 days but i went over and hooked up a generator for them and made sure they were okay.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Someone mentioned today that Winnipeg is the coldest city on the planet with a population above 500,000...

Regardless of the weather, it's the windchill that gets you...-20 with 25kph winds feels like -40 (and -40 is -40, celcius or farenheit)

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
I'd rather have cold than hot... -20 is better than 30 above, in my books...

When ever I hear "-40 are you nuts!" I respond "give me -40 over +40 and rain any day! You can't do a damn thing soaking wet" Besides that really is the definition of COLD from where I sit! I can call predators all day in sub zero weather but my butt is froze after an hour in the drizzle hunting moose!

The BEST thing about our wall tent is that the wood stove keeps it dry, warm is nice but having a place that is warm AND dry makes all the difference!

Rick: Please promise me you are an honest man. That way, I can just take your word for it.!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

Rick P

I am, honest, and I'm being serious about this post. You can dress for -40 and to a certian degree you can rain. But eventualy it soaks in and leves you nothing short of misserable! And you stay misserable till you are able to dry out.

Rick P

Someone once said a picture is worth a thousand words.......:biggrin:

Beautiful day today!

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 72
Top Bottom