Is this cocobolo?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

As a rough blank, this looked like cocobolo. As I started to turn, it looks almost like a burl. Still has the yellows & purples of coco, and the kind of glitter look at the right light angle that I've seen in coco.

Blank is turned to a Le Roi Royale, but I put a CA finish on that darkened it more than I like--so I may turn that off and do WTF or Craft Coat.

If he's reading--the blank was in a bunch of shorts I bought from greenmtnguy (Alton)--but I don't think the wood is native to the Northeast US!!

Thanks,
earl

Attachments

• What Wood 1.jpg
    What Wood 1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 337
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I am a novice wood identifier, but i would say , no, or that I have never seen Cocobola with that type of grain pattern and color. Great minds will know.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The grain looks right, the color looks possible, is the back side much darker--it looks like it transitions to the darker, more common color of cocobolo.

The dead giveaway is the smell, as you are turning it.

Dehn0045

Here is a link that shows what is claimed to be cocobolo burl: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...rl-rosewood-burl-tasmanian-blackwood.1545135/

I've never actually held Cocobolo burl in my hand, but based on many hours of looking at burls online I'd say it's quite possibly Cocobolo burl that you have. I have quite a bit of HRB, and though the richness of the color can vary, the sapwood tends to be lighter and less purple/orange. That said, a lot of folks with questionable ethics will label HRB as Coco to jack up the price...

greenacres2

Thanks guys. I couldn't resize the pic of the other side earlier--but got it now. Darker, but not appreciably. Hard to get good smell with the dust collector running, but sort of musty chocolate maybe?

Finished with CA this morning, but it really darkened it--so I turned that off and used Craft Coat instead. Still drying, but it let more of the real color show. Turned another cocobolo (for sure) blank today from a different batch--same colors but with grain I would expect to see. Does cocobolo ever have burl or possibly crotch wood?

Earl

Attachments

• What Wood 2.jpg
    What Wood 2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 195

greenacres2

Thanks Sam--I was typing the above when you posted. It looks for the world like a burl, but with coco colors. I don't recall reading of coco burl before, which is what prompted the question. It was only 3 3/4" long, so it will be dressing a Le Roi Royale from Exotic Blanks, one of Smitty's designs.
earl

I have worked with a lot of cocobolo and I would definitely say that your blank is cocobolo. It seems that the ends of the blank are darker in color than the rest of the blank. I have noticed that in most if not every cocobolo blank I have ever turned (I think it is caused by exposure or the wax on the ends of most blanks of that wood). The purple color in the wood also matches up with cocobolo.

Dehn0045

Yeah, looks really pretty for sure! I think it can be difficult to distinguish from HRB, so it's one of those that is kind of hard to get a lot of reliable info/pics, but it definitely makes burls. I think it would be perfectly reasonable to call it "rosewood burl" if you are concerned about misidentification... Would love to see it on the finished pen!

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
As a rough blank, this looked like cocobolo. As I started to turn, it looks almost like a burl. Still has the yellows & purples of coco, and the kind of glitter look at the right light angle that I've seen in coco.

Blank is turned to a Le Roi Royale, but I put a CA finish on that darkened it more than I like--so I may turn that off and do WTF or Craft Coat.

If he's reading--the blank was in a bunch of shorts I bought from greenmtnguy (Alton)--but I don't think the wood is native to the Northeast US!!

Thanks,
earl
Hi Earl,
Yes, it is Cocobolo. Can be Orange, Purple, almost Yellow, Brown, I think I have seen hints of Green. The smell as Ed said is the giveaway. This is from South America. I bought half a pickup truck load, so it will show up everywhere on the forum.

greenacres2

Does it make your eyes water and skin itch? Then it's cocobolo. But it is beautiful whatever it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Didn't make me itch, but my eyes teared up when I saw it round!! From the outside--no indication of what i'd see on the inside. Even the Craft Coat darkened it some. Should be able to buff and assemble by nightfall. Have one more pen to turn before I go back to yesterday's.
earl

Top Bottom