CNC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

liljohn1368

Has anybody ever used this CNC? If so. Is it worth $680.00? Says I can get either Mach3 or EMC2 software to run it. I'm looking for a way to get my names on my game calls.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• CNC 1.jpg
    CNC 1.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 201
  • CNC 2.jpg
    CNC 2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 206
  • CNC 3.jpg
    CNC 3.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 202
  • CNC 4.jpg
    CNC 4.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

farmer

Has anybody ever used this CNC? If so. Is it worth $680.00? Says I can get either Mach3 or EMC2 software to run it. I'm looking for a way to get my names on my game calls.

Thanks for your help.

If you have never operated a CNC , nor written a CNC file then I wouldn't buy any CNC .

Mach 3 can be down loaded for free so a new to CNC people can actually operate the CAM side of a CNC .
There is allot videos you can watch , best is have your pc to watch the video and then the CNC set up and you are designing the product on another pc

You can buy Mach 3 Add ons which is a nice add on .

But actual computer aided design CAD software most in the cue business use BOB/CAD .
I am using CAM BAM , mach 3 and one CNC I haven't wired in yet is Master Cam..

CAD CAM isn't for everyone ...

liljohn1368

Creating the files will be know problem. I do that on a daily bases. I own a vinyl cutting business. I was just checking to see if anyone has used this kind of CNC.

Terredax

Banned
I have read a lot of negative reports on the Chinese machines.

What design software are you using now? You will need a cad program of some sort, and there are some that are free.
CNC is quite a bit different from a plotter.
If you use a post processor, you don't need to write code. It is helpful to know the code, just in case you would like to modify it and remove a lot of the unnecessary movements.

If you are inclined, there are a lot of plans available to build a cnc, but I suggest not using MDF or HDPE as a lot of them use. Use aluminum, it's much more ridged and is easy to cut and drill. There aren't any of the moisture issues with aluminum either.

Just remember... you will get what you pay for... cnc isn't cheap and if it is, you will spend much more down the road.

liljohn1368

Thanks for the info John. I use coreldraw x6. Gary Dewitt from sign torch has help me a lot. He creates files to be used on a CNC. The way he explained it to me is. CNC machines should be able to work off of eps files.

Ed McDonnell

If you are going to put YOUR name / logo on the game call, then your art work will rarely change. In that case, you might find something like a hot foil stamping machine or a cylindrical screen printer to be better value and a whole lot easier to use.

Ed

Paul in OKC

I built my CNC machine from a kit I use Mach3 and VCarve Pro 7.5 works great looking to build or buy a bigger one.

Is there a video tutorial on building one.

There are tons of videos and tutorials on building cnc's. Cnczone is one source. Not sure if Hobby machinist has a board for home built machines or not. Funny (to me) thing is I run cnc machines and program, but doing a home built has always been a scary thing for some reason. Do plan on it some day. Have a couple of sets of linear bearings and rails already. Just waiting for the time.

ohiococonut

I've never used that machine so I can't tell you how good it is. It's designed for small flat items like PCB's and circuit boards. It most likely doesn't have the capability to do 3d because of the limited height and software so you'll be stuck with flat 2d work. And as one poster noted, tech support with these Chinese machines is not the greatest.

About 1 year after I got into pen making I got interested in cnc wood working so I bought a Shark Pro Plus HD. During the course of learning how they worked and what makes them work I learned my machine wasn't capable of doing what I wanted without making allowances because it flexed and the software was proprietary, among other flaws. So, I searched and studied for a year learning more about cnc work and built my current machine which will do exactly what I want with the accuracy and speed I wanted. No plastic or wood and it will carve 50"x50" or longer if I tile my work.

Learning cnc can be daunting but shouldn't be discouraging. You don't have to know how to write G-Code but you should have an understanding of how it operates, ie; basic commands. My entire career has been spent working in the industrial maintenance field and I literally knew nothing about cnc's but I learned. It takes persistence.

One thing to keep in mind is the z height of the machine you buy. Will it raise high enough to carve your calls? Don't forget the length of the bit when calculating this. Something else to keep in mind is the right size cnc with a 4th axis will literally be able to make your calls cutting down your fabricating time giving you greater precision.

My current machine runs on Mach3 and I use the current version of Aspire. Right now this is just a hobby for me but in a couple of years when I retire I will have everything necessary to open up my shop for business if I desire. If you want something right now, that small investment may be worth it if you're pumping out a lot of calls and need them engraved.

The only reason I post all of this is to give you some food for thought. You may be looking for a machine to just engrave your logo right now but I guarantee you once you use one and learn what they are capable of you'll want a larger machine. You will only be limited by your imagination.............. and pocketbook. :wink:
Any questions feel free to pm me.

Here are a couple of examples.

Attachments

• 0217131147.jpg
    0217131147.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 0820022101a.jpg
    0820022101a.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 0409131832.jpg
    0409131832.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 92

vtgaryw

If it truly includes a 4th axis like the one picture shows, then it's probably pretty comparable to buying all the components and building your own, with a lot less headaches (disclaimer: I have not built one, but have looked into extensively.)

Gar

smik

I built my CNC machine from a kit I use Mach3 and VCarve Pro 7.5 works great looking to build or buy a bigger one.

Is there a video tutorial on building one.

Legacy cnc , cncrouterparts, fineline automation, gecko drives all have good info. Vectric sells Aspire and Vcarve pro and has good training videos.
You can download their software for free and tryout its the easiest cad/cam software I have seen. My setup uses Colt router for spindle, its loud and was looking for a silent spindle. The spindle on this Chinese one looks similar to those sold on ebay. I read somewhere they clog with dust so held back. I piece mealed mine together to save some money but it's still not cheap by the time you add software and electronics. I added a Taig lathe and converted for 4th axis use and it works for me. Some of my other posts show some pen blanks I made with it. Fineline automation has plans for this model but if looking to do other work down the road I'd look at linear slides , ball screws.

Attachments

• cnc router image -reduced.jpg
    cnc router image -reduced.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 111

LouF

I got mine from cncrouterparts videos there are some around google is your friend. CNC Zone has the most information on the internet on CNC machines.

Terredax

Banned
Another thing to keep in mind... the Dewalt router RPM starts at 16,000. You will burn up a lot of cutters at that speed because most hobby machines aren't capable of running the feeds for that RPM. In most cases, the RPM used, will be half of that, around 5,000 - 8,000 rpm.

Engraving something as small as calls, is going to require a ridged machine with a pretty high resolution, or the image won't come out sharp and clean.

Tramming will also be very important when doing small items. If the surface you intend to engrave isn't flat, you will require 3D software to fit the engraving to the surface. Otherwise, The engraving will be shallow at the edges and deeper in the center. This sometimes distorts the engraving and it doesn't look good in any case.

As mentioned, look at the Z height you will require. Keep in mind the thickness of the material, any fixtures/supports, and add 2" for the cutter.
In some cases where the Z wasn't high enough, I've seen people cut out the spoil board and table to create a pocket in the table to lower the material to fit under the Z.

Be weary of CNCZone, it's full of viruses.

We made several of these as inlays on cherry cabinet face frames.

YEHLZMH.jpg

Last edited:

liljohn1368

After all the help on this. I think I'm going to just keep saving my pennies and go with the X Carve (1000mm) from inventables.

Thanks for all the help and info on this.

JP

Attachments

• xc-1000-44dd31c9d50f2ffa078648f27920c2ff.png
    xc-1000-44dd31c9d50f2ffa078648f27920c2ff.png
    117.6 KB · Views: 113

eharri446

You can use a 40 watt laser engraver to engrave glass. If you only want to do flat plate glass then you can do it without the rotary device. Otherwise you will need to get a rotary device which will run you about $225.00. A decent 40 watt laser will run around $450.00. I got mine off of Amazon and got it the next day for $25.00 shipping.

Top Bottom