class action settlement?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

Anyone else get an email about a settlement of a class action suit against Harbor Freight? May be a phishing expedition or something.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

Anyone else get an email about a settlement of a class action suit against Harbor Freight? May be a phishing expedition or something.

I got the email -- and some background digging leads me to believe it's genuine.

Since the cut-off date for claiming a share of the bounty is many months from now, I was planning to wait a while and see if any reports of it being a gigantic hoax surface.

Eldermike

Here's what posted. "A California man claims in a new class action lawsuit that Harbor Freight Tools has been using several different deceptive pricing schemes to induce sales.

Plaintiff Ted Shimono says that discount tool retailer Harbor Freight Tools advertises "fake sale" prices to make customers think certain items are being offered at a significant discount when they're actually not.

He says this tactic entices customers to buy lower-quality merchandise at inflated prices."

You know who gets rich on class action suites.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Prices keep going up and up. I agree with the suit as posted in the quotes by ElderMike.
They often post things to the effect that it is the lowest price ever, but in fact an item has the same parts as a previous item under a different number. I returned home from Japan in December 2010. I bought several items in the next year that have doubled in price and not in quality; and several $80-$90 items now selling on sale at $150 on "sale".

I posted my opinions on this on another forum about this fact last year, and didn't know that there was a class action suit going on. I probably wouldn't join it but rather do my shopping somewhere else most of the time.

Last edited:
Personally, I think this is Mr. Beck's claim to his 15 minutes of fame. I have never entered a Harbor Freight store expecting to pay more than the listed "sale" price. Nor for that matter do I think most buyers have any such expectations.

What he's claiming is about the same as the TV hucksters touting "This is an $80 value but we'll let you have it for $19.95, but wait order right now and we'll give you a second $80 value item for free - just pay separate shipping and handling"

At any rate as I posted earlier, haven't been in a Harbor Freight store but once or twice in past 5 or 6 years...

Woodchipper

I do get some things at HF but nothing of an consequence. Will wait and see what happens in my email.
TT makes a great point. If it is worth $80, then why not sell it at $80? Ever look at shipping costs on the TV stuff?

cjester

Got my notice today. On the one hand, they're not entirely wrong - they're always advertising some "$100" item for $25. But everybody know it isn't actually a $100 item.

The time I'd spend trying to file a claim vs the couple bucks I might get would make for a very poor return rate.

eharri446

I actually fell for that Buy One Get One for additional shipping and handling and the shipping and handling were almost as much as the cost of the item.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I got mine today, and there are three ways one can join the C/A suit. One is if you have the receipts.

Going back to 2014, I had receipts emailed to me and have them in my "tools" mailbox. I just might use this.

If you receive an email, and don't have receipts, one can join in a C/A suit and get a $10.00 gift card for HF.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I got mine today, and there are three ways one can join the C/A suit. One is if you have the receipts.

Going back to 2014, I had receipts emailed to me and have them in my "tools" mailbox. I just might use this.

If you receive an email, and don't have receipts, one can join in a C/A suit and get a $10.00 gift card for HF.

I just checked my emailed receipts that match the part 1 of the suit and I can get a $70.00 card for use at HF! I think I will do that. I need a new pressure pot.

jttheclockman

I just checked my emailed receipts that match the part 1 of the suit and I can get a $70.00 card for use at HF! I think I will do that. I need a new pressure pot.

Now you did it Hank. You are now going to upset the pressure pot people and get the lecture on the dangers of HF pots. :biggrin::biggrin:

TimS124

I received the email today...and noticed that the want you to have your itemized receipts showing what you purchased or file a sworn affidavit about what you purchased. Most of what I purchased was small things like nitrile gloves...and I don't have the receipts handy (and I'm not going to spend the effort to find them for what I know is a small amount of spending there). Looks like email receipts would've been the way to go!

Skie_M

OK . .. I did a lot of checking and adding up of things ...

I still need to go through and remove the price savings of the "freebie" items I've snagged over the past few years, but currently the total amount listed says that "You've Saved $651" ... and 30% of that is just under 200 dollars .... I could literally run on down to Harbor Freight and get their tabletop midi lathe... Especially if I am patient enough to wait for a 25% off coupon, which should be coming up fairly soon .... as I recall, I got one for memorial day before. :)

(either that or I could grab a lifetime supply of superglue??)

Skie_M

If you haven't gotten a notice, you can still voluntarily go through the site handling the case and get a case number assigned to you ...

The qualifying receipts are ones that have the statement "You Saved $xx.xx" at the bottom just below the totals ... but you have to subtract out the "full value" of any item you got using a "free purchase" type of coupon in the transaction...

For example, the blue tarps may retail at $2.99 at their normal "sale" price, but the "compared to" price is what is being reflected as part of your savings, so you have to subtract the $6.99 for the "full value" of the item you got for free. (I got a bunch of these, plus free batteries, free flashlights, ect ....)

I just finished checking through my receipts again, looks like the number is down to $578.88 for my total qualifying savings ... I'll run the numbers one more time to double check. So far, my HFT gift card should have a returned value of $173.66. :)

Top Bottom