Chuck Opinions needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Johnny, you will be better off with this new Grizzly chuck http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.aspx?itemnumber=H6265 it is a clone of the Axminster and takes their jaws interchangeably... ask Larry Korn about the one he bought he is very happy with it...

alamocdc

Johnny, I have one and use it regularly. I'm happy with it and even got the Jumbo jaws. I'm not countering Tom, just stating what I know. BTW, if you're interested in these, Woodturningz stocks them and will probably match this price (that means you get it faster).

Rifleman1776

The chuck question comes up a lot. And for good reason, they are a substantial investment, we use them a lot and a sorry one is a PIA. A search on this forum for past discussions will help a lot. I have a PSI mini-chuck. Design wise, it is very good. But PSI, Grizzly and others sell knock-offs of the European high-priced models. There are times quality control can be an issue. If you buy one, check very carefully upon receipt and don't hesitate to complain (politely) and return to the vendor. PSI was very good about the four sorry ones I received before getting a keeper.

Thumbs

Johnny, I have one and it works fine. I didn't get it that cheap either. I don't know how you can beat that price! Unless you know somebody that's just tossing them off the back of the truck![}:)]

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />Johnny, you will be better off with this new Grizzly chuck http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.aspx?itemnumber=H6265 it is a clone of the Axminster and takes their jaws interchangeably... ask Larry Korn about the one he bought he is very happy with it...
Pssst..... It is a clone of the Vicmarc not Axminster[:D] I have 2 of them and a Vic.

its_virgil

I just purchased the chuck Grizz referenced and have turned 4 bowls with it and it has performed flawlessly. A much better price than the Vic Mark it was patterned after. I've used the actual
vic Mark and now own the clone and I couldn't tell the difference. I may just get another one and sell my supernova, which I really like but the key turns backwards for my likings.
do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />Johnny, you will be better off with this new Grizzly chuck http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.aspx?itemnumber=H6265 it is a clone of the Axminster and takes their jaws interchangeably... ask Larry Korn about the one he bought he is very happy with it...

lkorn

Johnny,

Griz did mistate when he said it was an Axminster clone, he knows better. Anyhow, like Rifleman, I bought one from PSI and promptly sent it back. It was so out of balance that it almost shook my lathe off the foundations (my lathe weighs over 700lbs). I bought the Vicmark clone from Grizzly tools and love it. In fact with the optional pin jaws, I grabbed a mandrel and made the solid body "RED BARON". Nicely made and very versatile.

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />I may just get another one and sell my supernova, which I really like but the key turns backwards for my likings.

The reason the key turns backwards on a supernova is the same reason the water spins in the opposite direction when it is going down a drain. It has something to do when you are on the other side of the equator.

its_virgil

Yea, the water spinning thing south of the equator is an urban legand or a communist plot. It spins the same dirction down there as it does up here. I believed that for years but have been set straight. What say ye Serge? Which way does water spin as it goes dowm the drain down under. I don't know why the supernova is engineered like that, it is surely a nuisance.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />
Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />I may just get another one and sell my supernova, which I really like but the key turns backwards for my likings.

The reason the key turns backwards on a supernova is the same reason the water spins in the opposite direction when it is going down a drain. It has something to do when you are on the other side of the equator.

rtjw

Ok folks, I just couldnt resist the price. I went and ordered one online today. It isnt that much and if I dont like it I will order one of the more expensive ones as soon as I figure everything out.

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by rtjw
<br />Ok folks, I just couldnt resist the price. I went and ordered one online today. It isnt that much and if I dont like it I will order one of the more expensive ones as soon as I figure everything out.

O.K. WHICH ONE![8D]

woodwish

Tom, never realized that the Grizzly chuck was a knock-off of the VicMark. I have a vic and love it, but have been thinking about buying a second one. I think I will buy one of the grizzly's based on the reccomedations on here. Never ceases to amaze me what I can learn on here! I really wish they would make a 5 1/2" model in addition to this 3 1/2" model, maybe they will in time for Christmas?

Rifleman1776

And, for those with Grizzly lathes, there is an advantage in that you don't have to acquire an adapter for their weirdo 1"X12TPI spindle. I had to have one made by a machinist, at about $50.00 cost. There went my savings. [V]

bdar

Hi Johnny,

If they are a copy of the Vicmarc and have done a good job you will be happy. I have the genuine and I can not fault them. With that price buy another 2 set one up with pin jaws and the other with shark jaws and you are set. [:D]

Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom