chloramine water filter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knowltoh

I am curious if anyone has knowledge/experience concerning the removal of chloramines from the water supply. I have searched online for whole house water filter systems and am very confused. We have city water.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Why do you want to remove that which inactivates the bacteria in water??

If you really really want to do that -- active carbon will take it out.

Cmiles1985

A filter will not remove chloramines. If you really want to get rid of them, sodium bisulfite your best bet, but be prepared for biological fouling.

Cmiles1985

What application is it that you wish to remove chloramines for? End use of the water can be impacted by how you remove/neutralize chloramines.

NittanyLion

....but our government says it is safe:wink:

When our town switched to chloramines, by father started using campden(spelling??) tablets and an activated charcoal filter in his "beverage making". It's very popular among home brewers making any type of alcohol. I'm not a brewer, winemaker, or moonshiner, so I'm only sharing what dear old dad swore by. Hope this helps!

Cmiles1985

"Dear old dad" was right. Campden tablets are either sodium or potassium metabisulfite. It is the sulfite that knocks out the chloramines. Using sodium metabisulfite will give your home brew a funny taste, but isn't harmful.

TonyL

It has been around for a long time. I believe it's a combination of chlorine and ammonia.

Cmiles1985

It is a reacted product of the two. It is used in municipalities as it's more effective than chlorine gas and a little easier to maintain a chlorine residual than with sodium hypochlorite. As for removal, it all still depends on your intentions with the water.

KenV

Some home Wine makers us meta bisulfites to avoid cultures of the aceto-formers that turn wine into something much more acidic. Also used to treat some salad greens to extend shelf life. Super tasters tend to dislike the flavor.

Brewery operations use some pretty fancy treatments including activated carbon and filtration to get any strange stuff from the water including taste and odor.

So the why is the good question --

knowltoh

A family member is experiencing some health issues with no medical diagnosis. Removing the chlorine/ chloramines from the water supply of our home is something we want to do. We are not brewers, and don't have fish tanks. It seems prudent to attempt removal move these added chemicals.

Ed McDonnell

A good RO/DI system with a high capacity carbon filter (and appropriate sediment filters) will take everything out of the water.

A whole house solution is pretty expensive and requires regular maintenance (as well as possible special considerations on what happens with the waste water from the system).

Undersink systems for drinking water are less expensive, but still require regular maintenance (to keep the system working and to keep from creating a problem in your water far worse than chloramines). If you are only concerned about drinking water, you might be better off buying bottled water to drink. RO / DI water tastes funny and it is very reactive. It's also missing a lot of beneficial things we normally get from drinking water.

Before spending a lot of money on anything, you should consider having your water professionally tested (if you haven't already). You need to know what you need to remove before you buy a system to remove it.

Ed

stonepecker

For us personally, it was the taste of city water that we didn't like.
Bottled water wasn't an answer for the long run.
We got a distiller for drinking and cooking water. This was the answer for us.

Set-up cost was less then a thousand...including install.
The system filters are less then $25 for replacement, that anyone can do.
We get filters on line. Each filter lasts about 6 months.

Good luck to you.

Cmiles1985

The only problem with activated carbon is that you'll need quite a bit of contact time, and a way to check what's going on. Dialysis machines use activated carbon in series so that when the first cartridge starts slipping chloramines, the second continues to provide coverage. I don't know that you care to have your chloramines removed exactly 100% of the time, and that may get spendy. I would definitely recommend getting ahold of a water treatment company that is local to you and knows/understands your water. Chloramines may not be the only constituents that you want to remove...
I treat about 10 million gallons per day in various applications...I KNOW South Texas water, but it may be a totally different animal where you're at.

79spitfire

If bacteria get into your carbon filters it will turn into an unhealthy mess in no time....

DAMHIKT...

Top Bottom