(A) Chinese laser vs. $$$$$machine (B)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Michael has a real nice thread going in regards to purchasing an "inexpensive" Chinese made laser.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/chinese-laser-engraver-140404/

Rather than adding my personal thoughts on the subject matter, I decided to start this discussion. Like others, I have been debating as to whether or not I should purchase a laser to help with promoting some of the items that I make. It became a no brainer when one of the IAP members here was kind enough to do a test run on the Chinese laser using my logo. Glad to say that I am pleased with the results (picture) attached. However my story does not end there. As an informal and non-scientific experiment, I got another friend to do a similar test with his rather expensive laser using the same logo.

Remember that one is $90 and the other is priced in the thousands. This is what I would like to share with the folks here on IAP. Not trying to engage in any heated discussion as to the merit of one machine or another. Just look at the photos as they are merely intended as "food for thought". Which image is from the cheapie laser and which is from the >$$$$$$laser?:biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_20160527_123013.jpg
    IMG_20160527_123013.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_20160527_123054.jpg
    IMG_20160527_123054.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_20160527_130518 (003).jpg
    IMG_20160527_130518 (003).jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I recently bought one of the inexpensive ones. If you are just a hobbyist and want to either play or test some ideas, this machine is ideal. While i am more than pleased with the things this can do, if I were in business and selling hundreds or thousands of items, I would probably go for the more expensive option if it proved cost effective. I would not expect the inexpensive version to be a work horse, but for limited editions it's hard to beat..

jsolie

Bruce, that's it exactly. I don't know what everyone here expects out of a $90 engraver, but I know not to expect it to be a juggernaut that zaps thousands of pens and says "Is that all ya got?" I do want to see what it's capable of, and I have had a few requests for engraved pens over the last year or so.

sbwertz

I'm seriously thinking of buying one of these and giving it to the center for the blind. We could even put braille markings on the pens! People are always wanting names put on pens to prevent them from being stolen. We could also put the ACBVI logo on key chains as promotional gifts.

mecompco

Haven't seen this laser unit mentioned in any of the recent posts.
You can still get in on the preproduction price and save an additional $100 with this link:

http://glowforge.com/referred/?kid=rTevKu

Looks nice! Although, at over a grand for something that may or may not come to fruition, I'm not quite sold. How many folks have lost money on Crowdfunded items?

Regards,
Michael

larryc

Haven't seen this laser unit mentioned in any of the recent posts.
You can still get in on the preproduction price and save an additional $100 with this link:

http://glowforge.com/referred/?kid=rTevKu

Looks nice! Although, at over a grand for something that may or may not come to fruition, I'm not quite sold. How many folks have lost money on Crowdfunded items?

Regards,
Michael

The started their Crowdfunding with 9 million in the bank and raised 30 million in 30 days with crowdfunding.
They are in beta right now and they had several units at MakerFaire in SF last weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkGDIwUE6io

mecompco

I'm seriously thinking of buying one of these and giving it to the center for the blind. We could even put braille markings on the pens! People are always wanting names put on pens to prevent them from being stolen. We could also put the ACBVI logo on key chains as promotional gifts.

Sharon, that is a great idea! Not sure how you'd print braille (can one read "reverse" braille?). Upon occasion I am called to get our Juliet Pro working again, and that prints some pretty significant bumps (I'm sure there is a technical term for them).

Here's a version of my logo I've been noodling around with:

Regards,
Michael

sbwertz

Sharon, that is a great idea! Not sure how you'd print braille (can one read "reverse" braille?). Upon occasion I am called to get our Juliet Pro working again, and that prints some pretty significant bumps (I'm sure there is a technical term for them).

Regards,
Michael

Yes, braille readers can read dips as well as bumps. It is all in pattern recognition. Or we can glue tiny beads into the burned dots. I've been putting tiny turquoise nuggets on bottle stoppers for wine ID. At first I though I would put a W for white and an R for red....but the two letters are virtually identical...only one is upside down from the other...but the same combination of dots. Since on a stopper you can't tell up from down, that wasn't going to work. So we put one bump for white and two bumps for red (or vise versa...just so they are different.) Seems to work for them....they are very popular.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

My concern about the cheap ones is the power / depth of the engraving?

Can the cheap one be easily sanded off? Is it deep Enough for a color fill?

sbwertz

I ordered it with expedited shipping. Hope it gets here before I leave on vacation on the 24th so I can play with it and train my three helpers so they can use it while I'm gone. We are getting a new room to play in. We have been sharing the ceramics room for the past two years, but since the turnings from the turning project are beginning to bring in some significant income at fundraisers, they are giving us our own large room. So I will have a place to set up the laser permanently. Where we are now, I don't even have a permanent place to put the pen press, but have to get it out every morning and put it away every afternoon because we share work tables with ceramics. Plus the fact that they tend to just help themselves to our glue, sandpaper, dremel tools, etc. It will be nice to have a room we can close up and leave and it will be the same when we come back!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
My concern about the cheap ones is the power / depth of the engraving?

Can the cheap one be easily sanded off? Is it deep Enough for a color fill?
Not easily sanded off, deep enough for color fill. First attempt; maple, CA to seal, Laserbits pro color fill heavily applied then sanded flush. Probably could have let it dry a little more, but proved concept. Have also tried Rub'nBuff on darker woods and that seems to work as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0718.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 196

Dan Masshardt

Not easily sanded off, deep enough for color fill. First attempt; maple, CA to seal, Laserbits pro color fill heavily applied then sanded flush. Probably could have let it dry a little more, but proved concept. Have also tried Rub'nBuff on darker woods and that seems to work as well.

So you're adequately satisfied to engrave a name on pen for a customer?

Thanks for the input.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam

So you're adequately satisfied to engrave a name on pen for a customer?

Thanks for the input.

If I sold pens, I would answer yes. Requires a little playing to get the right size and settings but definitely can work. If I was in the business of selling a lot of pens I might consider a better unit but for the price it's hard to go wrong.

sbwertz

Mine has been shipped. Hope it doesn't take the scenic route like someone else's did! I think I will try filling names on dark wood with light colored embossing powder and CA and see how that works. I've used it for filling cracks and flaws. Even dark sawdust from the sander on light wood might be nice. I can hardly wait to experiment!

Bob in SF

Hi Sharon - You kindly alerted me to anti-Windows-10-upgrade software - one good turn sparks return - here's a quick burn of the braille alphabet from an (nbp.org) alphabet card - pdf opened in Photoshop, saved as .jpeg, dragged into the laser printer software, burned after quickly focusing (could have been better) - speed = 45.

I know you'll do a lot better - and this is tiny - like your raised dots idea - have fun.
attachment.php

- Bob

Attachments

• LaserBrailleAlphabet,800px.jpg
    LaserBrailleAlphabet,800px.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 382

sbwertz

On average, how long did it take to get your laser if you paid for expedited shipping? It has been six days since I got the notice it had been shipped but still don't have a tracking number.

mecompco

On average, how long did it take to get your laser if you paid for expedited shipping? It has been six days since I got the notice it had been shipped but still don't have a tracking number.

Sharon, mine arrived in about that time frame. I never got a tracking number, either. On a previous expedited order, it took 11 days. On a non-expedited order, it took 25 days.

Regards,
Michael

sbwertz

They finally admitted it did not go out expedited, and will refund my 8 dollars. So I guess it will get here while I am on vacation. Oh well, so much for being able to make Fathers' day gifts down at the center.

sbwertz

Finally got some tracking info. I ordered it on June 4. It showed "shipped" on June 7. According to the tracking info, it actually left the Netherlands depot on June 17! Hope I have it by Christmas.

mecompco

Finally got some tracking info. I ordered it on June 4. It showed "shipped" on June 7. According to the tracking info, it actually left the Netherlands depot on June 17! Hope I have it by Christmas.

I'm thinking by the Fourth of July, but hope it's sooner!

wood-of-1kind

Got it

So after a prolonged wait, I now have the laser. Glad to report that I am very happy with the performance so far. A very good value for money and I certainly am happy with the logo.

Conclusion: you do not have to spend a fortune to get more than "acceptable" laser results.

Attachments

• IMG_1580.JPG
    IMG_1580.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 175
Top Bottom