China

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

Say, I have a question. Miniature tools were purchased from China. They came as promised BUT, I wonder if any of the content is lead? Methinks I will go onto websitge and look on how to detect lead content in metals. Any one with a chemistry degree could save me time.
If there are made of lead I don't want to work them and I don't want to sell them. Watcha tink?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jeesh....not another Chinese bashing thread.....:frown:

This hobby would be out of reach to 90% of us if it wasn't for them.

Get over it, or buy local for ten times the price.:wink:

magpens

John, would you be able to post pictures of the miniature tools you mentioned, please?

It would help me, at least, and probably others to know exactly what you bought.

I think it is unlikely to find much lead in steel tools ... based on google search, including the forum cited below ...

http://www.finishing.com/590/93.shtml

Last edited:

Not gonna bash, my last major customer before I retired was a Chinese fellow... lovely man, and over the years I handled his account we became good friends... could have and probably should have continued doing his account in retirement... easy account to handle, a few phone calls to coordinate loading of containers, a few more to arrange pick up and handling of the container, another to book the container to China, then an hour or so doing the paperwork for his letters of credit, usually in the high 6 and sometimes low 7 figure ranges... I generally collected between $2,000 and $3,000 for my service fees.

We are all living in a global market economy now and will on into the future. Products and services will adjust to the market as it grows.

frank123

Tool steels rarely or never contain lead.

Lead makes machining easier, but makes hardening to the high RC needed for cutting tools difficult or impossible.

If you know the steel used, you can look up the composition on the internet.

Cobalt dust from cobalt steel sharpening is a much greater danger than lead contamination but low priced Chinese tools are unlikely to be using this high a grade of tool steel.

Bikerdad

Say, I have a question. Miniature tools were purchased from China. They came as promised BUT, I wonder if any of the content is lead? Methinks I will go onto websitge and look on how to detect lead content in metals. Any one with a chemistry degree could save me time.
If there are made of lead I don't want to work them and I don't want to sell them. Watcha tink?

Why would there be lead in them? Are they solder? No? Then it's highly unlikely there will be lead in any metal components. What about any protective finish they may have? Are you going to be chewing on them? No?

Then DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. There's no way that any lead bound up in either a protective finish or an alloy is going to get INTO YOU unless you liberate it. That means sharpening an alloy or chewing on the finish. Since I can't think of any alloys involving lead that would hold an edge better than warm ice cream, I suspect that's not a concern. So, you're left with chewing on your tools.

Do you gnaw on a pencil while thinking? Well, don't gnaw on your miniature tool, save it for the pencil.

Skie_M

Not gonna bash, my last major customer before I retired was a Chinese fellow... lovely man, and over the years I handled his account we became good friends... could have and probably should have continued doing his account in retirement... easy account to handle, a few phone calls to coordinate loading of containers, a few more to arrange pick up and handling of the container, another to book the container to China, then an hour or so doing the paperwork for his letters of credit, usually in the high 6 and sometimes low 7 figure ranges... I generally collected between $2,000 and $3,000 for my service fees.

We are all living in a global market economy now and will on into the future. Products and services will adjust to the market as it grows.

Oooookay ... am I the only one here seeing the story hidden underneath? Dude is talkin about being the up-front partner in a chinese indentured labor ring... o_O (modern day slavery) I hope this is just a joke.

GaryMGg

No, he's talking about being the Customs Broker for International freight forwarding.
Put the bottle down and step away from the keyboard.
:biggrin:

Last edited:

Penultimate

Greetings
I think the easiest way to find out if there is Lead or cadmium in product is to find someone with an XRF gun. The last company I worked for used it to find Pb and Cadmium in kids toys, jewelry and clothes. The company I currently work for uses it to determine alloying elements in steel.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Jgrden

Steampunk Construction 2.jpg
John, would you be able to post pictures of the miniature tools you mentioned, please?

It would help me, at least, and probably others to know exactly what you bought.

I think it is unlikely to find much lead in steel tools ... based on google search, including the forum cited below ...

Is there lead in steel?

magpens

Thanks for picture, John. . I now see what you mean by "miniature".

Those are castings and, as such, could contain lead, or anything else you might find in scrap metal.

Top Bottom