Chicago Chapter Follow Ups and Next Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

The interest at the first meeting was more than expected. As mentioned in the original post we had at least 50 people. The interaction was great. I need to thank Ed Brown for attending and giving the club some direction as to format, the IAP information and overview, and free pen kit. Also a thanks to Mark James for bring out some of the collection as an inspiration. I also need to thank the Rockler Store and Mark Hubl for hosting and donating some gift cards; the gentleman from Wisconsin who gave me some Craft Supplies gift cards; and Rich Rossio for donating a gift card. It was a lot of fun, but I appreciated the help. I think we achieved our goal of a club atmosphere and I personally look forward to keeping the momentum going.

Meeting Number 2:
Date: April 22, 2017 from 10 am – 1 pm
We will meet every other month.

139 South Weber Road
Bolingbrook, IL 60490

Demonstrator: Don McCloskey
Don will be demonstrating the skills and techniques to make the Celtic Knot pen. I have seen this at the Chicago Woodturners Meeting and it is a great technique to have.

Demo Challenge:
Since this month's demo was on turning an acrylic blank, the challenge is to turn your own acrylic pen and bring it to the meeting. Pen with the most votes will win a gift card.

Pen Blank Exchange:
I am still thinking through the details of how the exchange will work, but if you would like to participate please bring some blanks to exchange. I am not sure of the limit, but up to 5 was suggested. The key being up to – one, two, three, or four are just fine. I will have the details of how it will work at the meeting.

Show And Tell:
Please bring some pens that you either learned something or you just want to show off. We will go around and talk about what we have.

Future Demos:
We have a nice list of topic, so please contact me and we will get you up and talking. I already have a few volunteers and I am excited about the topics.

Follow Ups:

MPG:
Midwest Penturners Gathering 2017
April 7 & 8, 2017
Comfort Inn & Suites 5 Park Center Drive
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281

As mentioned the demo this month was from my AAW presentation on pen turning from June of 2016. The demo was videoed a few months later at Illiana and is on line. I have had a few requests via email for the link – so here goes - www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9W9bHPPgcM&feature=youtu.be.

Below are a few pictures I stole from Mark James post.

Thanks to everyone and hope to see everyone in April with a plethora of acrylic pens.

Attachments

• IMG_3527.jpg
    IMG_3527.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3522.jpg
    IMG_3522.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_3525.jpg
    IMG_3525.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3523.jpg
    IMG_3523.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_3526.jpg
    IMG_3526.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

Krub411

Here are some photos of the Chicago Chapter of IAP we had a great gathering of pen turners

Thanks
Dave

Attachments

• 1 gathering.jpg
    1 gathering.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 166
  • 3 ed brown.jpg
    3 ed brown.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 4 mark james IAP curator.jpg
    4 mark james IAP curator.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 159