Cheap auto parts..HELP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello, just had my fuel pump go on my 88 chevy and autozone wants $210 for it just thinking maybe someone knows of a place to find parts cheap. Not sure I want a used one as I'm no mechanic and don't want to do this again. Any help is great, Thanks, Victor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

Victor,
Help me find a 1966 2dr Chevelle Super Sport and I will find you a fuel pump.[}:)][:p] Seriously I will check with my son as he has connections here in Salt Lake City and maybe we can help. What size engine do you have in it?

Firefyter-emt

I am going out on a limb here and will ASSUME this is a truck. E-bay was the best advice, here is one for a 79-88 Chevy truck 305/350 new in box 2 days left, no bids and $9.00 start. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev...008QQitemZ180230187814QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Now here is one for 88-94 which I think may be what you need. For the price you quote, it sounds very high for a mechanical pump. I think you have the newer electric pump myself.

But, here is one with a $29.95 BIN but used. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fuel...023QQitemZ360039791707QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

There are tons on e-bay, but I am not positive of exactly which one you need or what the heck ya got! :D

alphageek

Former Moderator
There is also several used part search engines (like car-part.com)... I've not used the in a bit, but its worth a bit of searching.. It could find you something close and cheap. (And saves them from the landfill? :D)

gokartergo

Those trucks are fuel injected. The fuel pump is in the gas tank.. You don't want to buy a used one. You can go threw all the work and find out it doesn't work. On some of those when you buy the fuel pump they include the sending unit.. That measures the fuel level. That is probably still good.. All you need is the pump.. Not the whole unit. Hope this makes sense to you.. Dan

alphageek

Former Moderator
Wow.. Nevermind my post... So many bad points - Missed victors (don't want used) and fuel injected (I would have thought a '88 was still carb'ed).

Good luck Victor! Even if you find this.. Playing around the gas tank.. I know this is a nasty labor charge item...[B)]

Firefyter-emt

Don't feel bad, it looks like 87-88 was a cross over year between carbed and TBI. Heck on the Jeep Wranglers, they held out until 91 to inject them.

Ahh, for the days of simplicity with a nice holly 4bbl and a set of points! :D

Hello, guys its a carb, its been played with by a kid before is got it to make it a hot rod. its not my fuel pump, i have hooked up a new one and get nothing, glad I checked it before i put all back together. Does anyone have suggestions on what else it is. I have no fuel pressure, the new pump won't work, I bit the bullet and got the $210 one. I was told maybe a fusable link? a short,what do you guys think??? I should have just taken it in instead of trying to be hero, sometimes I forget I'm a carpenter and think i can do anything.Thanks for all the work you guys have done on this your time is appreciated. thanks, Victor

Firefyter-emt

The pump don't work? With you saying that it's "Carbed" is it a TBI carb with an electric pump? If so, it is most likly a ground that is bad. Secure a good ground wire and clean the top of the fuel sending unit at the tank. Then use the new wire to ground the sending unit somewhere on the top. (It should use the whole pick-up unit as a ground so as long as its metal...)

When the key is turned on, you should hear the pump come on and preasurerize the system for a second or two. If the ground trick does not work, get a test light and check for power at the plug. You could have a fuse that is blown, there should also be a fuel pump relay, try swapping one of the other relays from like your heater or power windows before you buy a new one. Good luck!

Hello, I got it I'm a little car stupid and tested the pump laying on its side, and I'm guessing that it has a safety device to stop it from pumping if you flip or turn over. Thanks everyone for all the help I need it with these darn things. Victor L.

Top Bottom