A careless thing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoky10

Since it was starting out to be a nice day I thought I would go out to the shop and make some key rings. I like to do my drilling on the lathe because it is very accurate and I'm not usually in a hurry. Well, I chucked up a blank in my talon and put my Jacobs chuck in the tail stock with a 7mm bit. I moved the tail stock in till the bit just touched the blank and started to crank the bit in, but instead, I just pushed the tail stock in by hand, slowly. It went in with no trouble but when I pulled it out the bit hung in the blank and pulled the jacobs chuck out of the tail stock. Now I have this hunk of metal turning at about 3000rpm until the bit breaks. That chuck went flying past my head and the broken bit is imbeded in the wall. We all do careless things but this is one I won't repeat.[:I]:([V]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

3000RPM??????????????????[:0] I always drill on my lathe, but never at more than 800rpm. Glad you weren't hit by that thing.

smoky10

Another problem is I broke my only 7mm bit. Now I have to go to Wood craft or Choice Woods to get another one.[:p][}:)] You know I hate to go to places that sells wood and tools. [;)][}:)]

If you have a morse taper you're supposed to use a restraining rod that runs through the tailstock preventing the drill chuck from coming loose from the tailstock (or headstock as the case may be).
Your cold front is here -it's -20C now and tomorrow -25C with wind chill -38. I'll trade ya[:)]

smoky10

My morris taper isn't made for a draw bar and normally I do slow the lathe down, just not this time. I usually hold on to the jacobs chuck to keep it from coming out and I don't know why I didn't this time. Maybe I was having a senior moment. [:D][B)]

Originally posted by smoky10
<br />My morris taper isn't made for a draw bar and normally I do slow the lathe down, just not this time. I usually hold on to the jacobs chuck to keep it from coming out and I don't know why I didn't this time. Maybe I was having a senior moment. [:D][B)]
My apologies Tom. Mine has a threaded hole for a drawbar - I thought they all came that way. Glad you weren't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom