Be careful with carbide tools...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

I was cleaning up my dungeon of a shop last night & picked up a carbide tipped tool. The arm slipped thru my fingers & instead of letting it drop to the floor, I grabbed it.

Big mistake. It sliced thru my ring finger like a scalpel thru warm butter.
Almost took my fingertip off. Luckily, I had a paper towel sitting there.
I grabbed it & applied pressure immediately.

I put 2 Band-aids on it & got the bleeding stopped. I don't think I'll need stitches, but I'll be out of the shop for awhile as it heals up.
Be careful with sharp tools and if you happen to drop one, let it hit the floor.

I am lucky. Very lucky.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

There are times when our reflexes can be too good . Have never forgotten catching a butcher knife I was drying for my mother when I was about 13 . Zero cut received , even though caught by the blade between my fingers .

leehljp

Member Liaison
HSS tools can do the same. Razor sharp.

I cut the tip of my finger almost off when I was about 10. I put 2 bandaids with a third one around the two to hold them on very tightly; Didn't say a word to mom or dad. My mom noticed it the next morning an took me to the doctor; . . . several stitches.

MRDucks2

Had drill bit chucked in the lathe, not powered up. Reached to adjust the dust collector intake and sliced a finger open on the drill bit. Lots of sharp tools in wood turning.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Let it hit the floor, but watch your feet

There are times when our reflexes can be too good . Have never forgotten catching a butcher knife I was drying for my mother when I was about 13 . Zero cut received , even though caught by the blade between my fingers .

Reminds me of the time I was cutting Salami and dropped the knife off the cutting board. I was smart enough not to grab for the knife but forgot about my bare foot underneath me. The knife landed tip first on my foot, sunk in about 3/4 of a inch and stayed in place until I pulled it out. Needless to say I was dancing a jig and my wife just laughed. Still have the scar and when I tell my grand kids about it they all just laugh really hard. I think it was the dancing of the jig that makes them laugh!

Top Bottom