carbide cutters for easy tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I have carbide tool handles that take the larger cutters, so I don't use the easy tool cutters. The blind center uses easy tools that take the little cutters. Where can I find the sizes for the easy tool cutters, and where do you order them? I need the square/radius cutters and the diamond shaped one for the detailer. Up until now we have been using HSS conventional tools, but the more advanced turners are now using real turquoise instead of the inlace for inlay, and have started using the carbide tools. I am going to need some new cutters soon.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Well you just about got all the big players when it comes to those cutters. I can tell you CSUSA and AZ have great quality cutters. I do not know about the others. I have shown that these cutters can be honed when they do get dull. I use the Trend diamond sharpening cards along with the honing fluid which is a must. Good luck and happy turning.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Sharon,

Rockler Woodworking and Hardware
4626 E. Thunderbird Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85704

Would be a local source for you to get genuine EWT cutters. I have no experience with the other cutters but you can't go wrong by buying the cutters specifically made for the tools.

Last edited:

KenV

Sharon, Arizona Carbide is in Phoenix

Give them a call, and I suspect you can get what you need on West Osborne.

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
I have carbide tool handles that take the larger cutters, so I don't use the easy tool cutters. The blind center uses easy tools that take the little cutters. Where can I find the sizes for the easy tool cutters, and where do you order them? I need the square/radius cutters and the diamond shaped one for the detailer. Up until now we have been using HSS conventional tools, but the more advanced turners are now using real turquoise instead of the inlace for inlay, and have started using the carbide tools. I am going to need some new cutters soon.
Try Cap'n Eddie Castelin. Good prices and he's an IAP Member

TonyW

I used AZ cutters too, sent to me here in England until we had a UK producer in Glenn Teagle, and they are as good as the others are saying. They also lead me by the hand on how to convert my Sorby Turn Master for carbide cutters before Sorby sold them, so they are very helpful!

Tony Wells

sbwertz

I guess I should have been more specific. I don't know what size or part number to get. I know there are a bazillion different cutters out there (I buy mine from Global Tooling) but I don't know how to identify what tools they have or what cutters they take. They were donated to the center without any documentation. Some of them have orange handles and some have natural wood handles. Some are very short (pen turning tools?) and some have standard length handles, but all seem to take what are apparently the same size cutters....about 2/3 the size of the ones I use. Mine are 15mm x 15mm.

I have sharpened these so often that I can no longer read any markings on the cutters. Are all the easy tools the 7/16 size? I prefer the R2 cutters. They are more forgiving than the square.

Last edited:

JimB

If they are EWT they stamp the bar on the tool with the correct cutter.

Also, AZ Carbide has a chart on their website that helps determine what cutters fit what tools. They are also very helpful. I bet you could call them and they would be glad to help you out. They responded very quickly to my emails. Ask them if you could send them the cutters you have for the tools and ask them to tell you what you need.

sbwertz

I'm going to the Center on Tuesday. I'll check for the id stamped on the shaft, and take some pictures. Thank you all for your help.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
The "Easy Start Easy Wood Tools" (Which have natural handles) do not have the cutter sizes stamped on them but they take the same cutters as the Mini and the Midi size Easy Wood Tools.

Bikerdad

I've identified a few problems with the vendors of cutters other than EWT.

First problem is universal: They are selling carbide cutters with no indication of where the cutters are from. Sure, it doesn't matter to some people that their new cutters are being made by adversaries or even enemies of their own country. As long as it's the lowest price, they don't care. For those of us who DO care about who the people are that make the things we buy, well, I'd like to see the Country of Origin info BEFORE I place my order. (For those who are NOT simply hobbyists and about to say "it doesn't matter", you may want to consider the implications of that next time you push "handmade" as a selling point.)

The second problem, which is not universal, is the failure of vendors to identify their cutters in a simple fashion. For some, this is understandable. Global Tooling doesn't identify their cutters as being a replacement for an EWT cutter for the simple reason that woodworking handheld lathe tool cutters are almost certainly a nano-scopic segment of their business. The Arizona folks demonstrate how it should be done, Cap'n Eddie, on the other hand, demonstrates how it SHOULDN'T be done.

JimB

The handles are stamped Ci 2

What size (mm/inches?) is this.

If you go to AZ Carbide website, on the bottom right side click on their cross reference sheet tab. It tells you all the sizes and what their mm/inches are. It's a very easy and small chart. The square and radius are slightly different.

Top Bottom