carbide bandsaw blade - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default carbide bandsaw blade

Where can I buy a carbide bandsaw blade for a 14 " delta bandsaw? One that doesn't lose its teeth. I'm cutting blanks for pens.

Preston
steamshovel is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-11-2018, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm sure there are other sources, but Iturra Designs can fix you up with any length you need.

No web presence, so you need to call them at 904-642-2802. Make sure to ask for a copy of their catalog while you've got them on the phone.

Great company.

Bill
bmachin is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-11-2018, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 83

I use nothing but Lennox trimaster. But I use them for resawing. If you are cutting pen blanks that is a waste of money. I have a source in NJ that I get them custom made. But here is a Lennox dealer. Have no idea about their service but the price is about the same.

http://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/l...and-saw-blades

When you say blade that does not lose its teeth

What blades are you buying, some harbor freight stuff?? Any good blade will stand up to cutting pen blanks unless you are trying to cut metals with it. Proper blade for the job is key. Brands are subjective.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
I use nothing but Lennox trimaster. But I use them for resawing. If you are cutting pen blanks that is a waste of money. I have a source in NJ that I get them custom made. But here is a Lennox dealer. Have no idea about their service but the price is about the same.

What blades are you buying, some harbor freight stuff?? Any good blade will stand up to cutting pen blanks unless you are trying to cut metals with it. Proper blade for the job is key. Brands are subjective.
I have heard that some blades lose their carbide tipped cutting surface occasionally. The weld does not hold?

Preston
steamshovel is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have broken carbide tips off of circle saw blades through shear abuse from either overloading, overheating or reversed blade cutting. Again, my abuse of the blade not the blade’s fault.

Having similar issues with a bandsaw blade would seem less likely and still associated with use, not the blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamshovel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post

I have heard that some blades lose their carbide tipped cutting surface occasionally. The weld does not hold?

Preston
Mike said a mouthfull just below and that is usually the case. Owner abuse.

Poor welds could be a cause but hopefully quality control does their job and most big name brands have good quality control because their name is on those blades. You buy these China blades who knows what you get. There is proven facts out there where certain blade cleaners will break down welds on carbide and thus you have broken teeth. Many years have gone by and probably some people still do use Simple Green as a cleaner to break down the pitch and gummyiness on blades from the resins in woods. Worked real well but over time it breaks down the weld. So this is not recommended any more.

If you treat your tools well they will treat you well. Abuse them and they can fight back and it could hurt.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads