Cannot find reference info

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

suefox51

I know I saw it here, but cannot locate the thread - are there plastic bushings to use when applying CA as a finish so as to not mess up the metal bushings? I believe they exist, but cannot retrieve that memory - the brain is filled up and needs to be emptied a little!

Thanks in advance.

Sue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I purchased the ones from amazon an they work pretty good, but have heard you can make them from a stick of delrin rod that you can get cheap (I got some on eBay). I have since started turning between centers and apply CA between centers with no bushings. All you need is a dead center (assuming you already have a live one...). I much prefer this method -- absolutely no sticking and its super easy to remove and mount the blank on the lathe. Even when I turn using a mandrel, I finish between centers.

magpens

Like Sam, I made my own non-stick tapered bushings from Delrin rod which I purchased locally from a Plastics Supply shop. . I cut the tapers at 15 degrees so that these work for all pen tube sizes.

I found that the tapers on the metal dead and live centers are too steep (60 degrees) and I did get CA on them which I had to clean off frequently.

greenacres2

Exotic Blanks is $6.00 or $6.50. I've got some in my cart, just trying to decide on some other stuff so Ed won't have to watch Dawn move so much stuff.
earl

gtriever

1/4 inch I. D. x 3/4 inch long Nylon bushings from True Value Hardware. IIRC, around 15 cents each, give or take a couple of pennies. Turn one end down at an angle for a "universal" fit.

dogcatcher

Get a couple of milk jugs, the plastic is recyclable, they will be coded number 2. Cut them in to small chips, about 1" square. Lay them on a cookie sheet and warm them up until you can form a roll, like a 1/2" dowel. Wear gloves so you don't burn your hand. Then make your own.

Want fancy psychedelic look? Find different colored plastic lids that have the number 2 in the recycle codes. Mix the colors in with the milk jug plastic. A lot of good YouTube info about creating your own HDPE blanks using recycle code 2 plastic.

Here is an easy one that goes into a lot of detail. https://youtu.be/kUR6_bQLU-E

Top Bottom