It Can Be too hot to turn!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JayDevin

Today I was working the garage, started about 8 am so temp was not an issue, anyway was drilling/glueing 8 Sedonas and 8 Jr Gents.
finished all that and began to turn a (you guessed it ) Rose Petal blank. I had noticed that the blanks were getting soft in the sun so I moved them inside. got the blank down to size and was just taking that last Pass, you know the one that we all take when we know we should not,cause we want the PERFECT pen. All of a sudden I hear this funny noise and the entire blank has sort of ooozed off the brass. it was a soft gooey mess! After the cursing stopped, I realized that it was so soft it just TORE off the brass. So I quickly put its mate in the fridge so harden up and am now inside cooling off!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbroye

Kind of warm all over CA today. I refinished the deck outside my shop this morning and it was supposed to take 24-48hrs to dry. Sun hit it this afternoon and all dry now. Bought a small window type A/C for the shop, 10x12 converted Tuff Shed that is insulated and drywalled, but to D*** hot to install. Will try to put it in tomorrow. Kind of suprising that a blank would go soft, but being plastic it probably would in the hot sun. I wonder now about some of my "plastic" blanks going to go out to the shop and see how they are as I have some pens laying on the bench in front of a window.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
105 while driving around on errands today in NorCal. 99.5 on my front porch right now, 6pm. Need to work on the minivan before a long-^&*@ drive to Tempe, AZ next week (where it was 112 today) but too hot to do it.

yuck

GK

tbroye

Yea but it is a dry heat. It is still hot. BIL and I were think about driving over the the NASCAR Race but decided it is too hot and no shade over there. Could of had free tickets from out former employer but to hot to many people, will watch it over at his house and in the pool.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
When they come to the Brickyard , I'll be there ! And the Nationwide the night before , at Raceway Park . You guys enjoy that race from the pool . That sounds like a plan ! Jay , thanks for telling about that softening .
Originally posted by tbroye

Yea but it is a dry heat. It is still hot. BIL and I were think about driving over the the NASCAR Race but decided it is too hot and no shade over there. Could of had free tickets from out former employer but to hot to many people, will watch it over at his house and in the pool.

toolcrazy

I'll stay right here in the Pacific Northwest. 80 today, mid 70's tomarrow. Low 70's for the rest of the week. You'all can have your dry heat. :D:D

bitshird

We are getting back into the Hi in the 90s with 60% humidity, 12x 32 shop, Forrest green metal roof, bright sun, small air cond. and no insulation in the ceiling, the walls are, I just haven't had strength to get up there, definitely too darned hot until about 6:30[}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

nava1uni

It's Saturday morning 9:30 AM and it's already 82 here is ocean air conditioned San Francisco. It was still 79 at 1100PM last night. Most unusual for here. Today looks like another real scorcher. I think its a stay inside at the movies kind of day. Hope everyone can stay cool-drink lots of fluids.

herbk

Has anyone had this problem while participating in an outdoors craft show? My pens were in direct sun light for about 4 hours, didn't notice any problems, but will have to keep this in mind. (new to turning).

airrat

I would not put them out in direct sunlight. If you have an oily wood type (cocobolo for example) it could heat up and crack. I would think most woods will run this risk, also it could cause the "tiny" amount of grease in the transmission to melt and run down the refill.

Here in Az they could get hot enough to have someone pick it up and drop it.

Just a few reasons I would make sure they are "protected".

markgum

yeah; I wanted to turn today; but to bloody hot. maybe I could put the lathe in the pool. ;)guess, I better make sure the extension cord don't fall in... :D

Top Bottom