Camphor Wood Score

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I spotted a Craigslist ad for free Camphor wood today, so I stopped by on my way home and picked up a truck load.

A fellow in town had a large Camphor Laurel tree that died, so he had it cut down last weekend. I expected most of it to be gone already, but it looks like I was the first one to pick up any. I loaded up everything decent up to 100 pounds or so. There's still a lot of really nice stuff left, but no way I could load it by myself. I will try to get back over there this weekend with some help for another load.

Camphor Laurel was apparently introduced to the USA about 1875 and has become naturalized in the Gulf Coast states and California. I didn't realize until now that we had some in our local area.

Attachments

• IMG_6025.jpg
    IMG_6025.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_6027.jpg
    IMG_6027.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_6030.jpg
    IMG_6030.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_6031.jpg
    IMG_6031.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_6020.jpg
    IMG_6020.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 266

magpens

What the blanketty, blank, blank, blank are you going to do with that, Edgar? :biggrin:

Be honest now !! Isn't that what she asked ?

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
What the blanketty, blank, blank, blank are you going to do with that, Edgar? :biggrin:

I've got about 10 pallets piled up with wood under my tractor shed. She used to ask something like that, but now she just shrugs and shakes her head. :)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Oh...! I want that trunk, bad...!:eek::frown:

The best of that tree is hidden in it, guaranteed...!

See, that "bulge" on the ground all around it...??? good stuff in it...!:frown::frown:

Cheers
George

He wasn't home when I picked this up today, but I'm going to try to get in touch with him to see what his plans are for the part that's still standing. Maybe I can help him take the rest of it down sometime.

He specifically mentioned in his ad that he hoped some woodworkers would come pick up the wood, so that sounds encouraging.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
What are you going to make for him, in return for all of the wood?
Len

At least a pen for sure. I'll cut a small limb into pen blanks soon & dry them in my toaster oven, but I'll let the rest air dry for a year or two before I do much with with it. Some spalting is already visible, so I hope that will continue to develop.

We got over 4" of rain after he cut that tree down, so this wood is really saturated right now.

JimB

I've got about 10 pallets piled up with wood under my tractor shed. She used to ask something like that, but now she just shrugs and shakes her head. :)

10 pallets! Wow. I'm happy I still have a few logs for bowls under my workbench. Great find!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

10 pallets! Wow. I'm happy I still have a few logs for bowls under my workbench. Great find!

I'm going to have to start labeling them - my memory isn't what it used to be and I seem to keep running across more interesting wood faster than I can process what I've already accumulated.

I know what I'll be doing if I ever retire. :biggrin:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I want to see more than just pens out of that Edgar. Maybe a natural edged bowl, a vessel, and while your at it a dining room table:biggrin:

That's kinda what my wife said when she saw the wood - she said "you need to make something besides pens out of this!"

I haven't turned any bowls or vessels yet, but now that I've got this nice stuff, I'm going to give it a try.

No dining room tables, but perhaps a small display table for our entry. :)

alankulwicki7

I want to see more than just pens out of that Edgar. Maybe a natural edged bowl, a vessel, and while your at it a dining room table:biggrin:

That's kinda what my wife said when she saw the wood - she said "you need to make something besides pens out of this!"

I haven't turned any bowls or vessels yet, but now that I've got this nice stuff, I'm going to give it a try.

No dining room tables, but perhaps a small display table for our entry. :)

Too funny!

Bowls are fun! The nice thing is you don't have to be as exact like with pens. I enjoy making pens but I prefer making bowls and other utility items :). If there's a knot, crack or other flaw you can either turn it away or make it a feature in the finished product!

wob50

Edgar nice score I look on my local craigslist only oak , none of the good stuff but I will keep looking . If was not so far away would come to help. Keep us updated on the bowls

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Edgar nice score I look on my local craigslist only oak , none of the good stuff but I will keep looking . If was not so far away would come to help. Keep us updated on the bowls

That's usually all I see around here too. I hadn't even checked Craigslist for several weeks, but Dominic (target64) posted that thread yesterday about his great tool & supplies score, and that reminded me that I hadn't checked in a while. I almost fell over when I saw that big pile of camphor wood.

I definitely need to send Dominic a box of this wood! :)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
After the meeting at Mannie's today, I went by the place with the Camphor wood to pick up another load. I took my chain saw along to cut up some of the larger pieces, but didn't have to use it.

I got to chat with the owner today and he is a really nice guy. He and his wife are just tickled that this wood is not going to the landfill. This was a huge tree - probably close to 100 years old. He said that they bought the house 40 years ago and the tree was old & large when they bought it. It's canopy was at least 150' in diameter and the dominant tree in their back yard. The tree has been in slow decline since the great Texas freeze of 1989. Here in Alvin, the temperatures did not get above 32ËšF for 5 straight days.

Anyway, when I told him that I had brought my chain saw to cut up some of the larger chunks so I could load them, he said that would not be necessary. All I had to do was show him where to make the cuts and he would cut them up for me tomorrow morning & will have it ready for me to pick up by noon. So I loaded all the remaining decent limbs that I could handle and will go back tomorrow for the rest.

He was thrilled when I told him that I would make them a few things from the wood.

Here's a photo of today's load. This find just keeps getting better. :)

Attachments

• SecondLoad.jpg
    SecondLoad.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 132

jfoh

Not too long ago I went to buy several wooden planes from a craigslist seller. Just before I left I asked if they anything else that they needed to sell. I ended up buying a huge barn full of lumber which had been cut and drying for several decades. It filled several tractor trailers in total. Enough lumber to last me a lifetime when I retire and it has all been delivered to my farm where I intend to retire. I made several small items for the sellers out of some of the wood and they were happier with that than they were with the money I paid them for the wood. Delighted and just so thrilled to see what it could become. Sounds like your fellow will get just as much of a kick out of that as they did.

stonepecker

I wish I was there Edgar. I would be in line helping you take it down.
That is one lucky find. Congrats.

If there is more then you can handle........ship me a large flat rate box and I will pay the postage.
(And YES, I promise to share with Doug.)

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Here is our 3rd & final load of Camphor wood from that big tree. The owner was nice enough to slice up a few of the big logs into more manageable sizes for me & I took my son along to help me load them. Even after being cut into smaller chunks, the two of us were just barely able to load some of them onto my truck.

There were still 4 huge logs left - I think that a friend of The Penguin is going to get those today. If so, then none of this beautiful wood will go to waste.

That red thing in the front of my truck bed is a new roto-tiller that I picked up at Tractor Supply before we went to get the wood. I managed to make just one pass at tilling our garden before my old tiller gave up the ghost.

One thing about working with Camphor wood. You want to be sure to wash your hands really well afterward & don't rub your eyes. DAMHIKT :rolleyes:

Edgar

Attachments

• ThirdLoad.jpg
    ThirdLoad.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 103

gimpy

Hey Edgar, I send my truck down, filler her up and send it back, No really, great find, can't wait to see what you make...........

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Hey Edgar, I send my truck down, filler her up and send it back, No really, great find, can't wait to see what you make...........

Thanks Terry - with 3 truck loads, I have way more than I could possibly ever use. I plan to offer some of it up on WoodBarter.com, but I will also make some available to my IAP family from time to time for trades or very low prices. This stuff is just too nice not to get used.

The Penguin

talked to Greg at lunch - he pulled up and loaded 2 of the last 4 cut pieces just as the city's heavy trash truck pulled up.

The trash truck picked up the other 2 pieces and loaded them on the trailer for him.

So the last of this tree has been rescued from the dump!

Edgar - when are you going to join us for a GCWA meeting? :biggrin:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
talked to Greg at lunch - he pulled up and loaded 2 of the last 4 cut pieces just as the city's heavy trash truck pulled up.

The trash truck picked up the other 2 pieces and loaded them on the trailer for him.

So the last of this tree has been rescued from the dump!

Edgar - when are you going to join us for a GCWA meeting? :biggrin:

That's great news, Shawn! Thanks for the update. It would have been a darn shame for any of it to wind up in the landfill.

I'd love to make a GCWA meeting sometime, but it's awfully hard to squeeze anything else into my weekends. It was all I could do to pop over to Mannie's for the gathering last Sat and that was just 7 miles away. I'll keep it in mind though.

alankulwicki7

Glad to see the wood was picked up. I always cringe when wood like this goes to the burn pile.
When I see free (or cheap wood) on craigslist, I always make the offer of a few items made from some the wood. I only ask for a few pieces (never all of it) and very seldom do I hear back from these people.
I just know that the wood is being used to heat someones shop....:eek:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Glad to see the wood was picked up. I always cringe when wood like this goes to the burn pile.
When I see free (or cheap wood) on craigslist, I always make the offer of a few items made from some the wood. I only ask for a few pieces (never all of it) and very seldom do I hear back from these people.
I just know that the wood is being used to heat someones shop....:eek:

Around here, very little winds up getting used for heating. Some gets chopped up into mulch, but most of what is cut down in the city ends up in the landfill. Once a tree is cut down inside city limits, you have 10 days to get rid of it or contact the city for a pickup. We have a lot more flexibility out in the county.

Interesting story about this Camphor wood. When the owner finally decided it was time for the tree to come down he was weighing cut down vs cut down & haul off bids. He talked to a police officer he knew about his options & the officer suggested that he offer it to woodworkers and let the city haul off whatever was left (which they will do once per year at no charge). Apparently the officer must be a woodworker too, because he took one chunk for himself.

The wood probably would not have even made it to Craigslist if not for that officer's suggestion.

stonepecker

It is amazing what can happen by word of mouth. The other thing is to always keep others in mind. I have a ton of black walnut.......and when I hear of more trees being taken down, I always pass the word onto the people I know that can use it.

Thanks again Edgar for everything you do for the members here of the IAP. We may not say it enough, but your help is deeply felt here in Minnesota.

D.Oliver

It is amazing what can happen by word of mouth. The other thing is to always keep others in mind. I have a ton of black walnut.......and when I hear of more trees being taken down, I always pass the word onto the people I know that can use it.

Oh yeah, well I have a miles and miles of sagebrush. :tongue: Unfortunately none of it has enough diameter to turn (Yes I've tried).

Top Bottom