Camera SD card ????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have an older Pentax camera that I take photos of my projects with. I ran out of sd cards and it has been awhile since I bought my last one. I am not tuned into all the stuff so thought I would ask??? I looked on line because I can not find in stores any more a 2GB SanDisk card. This is as big as my camera will accept. I see 2gb cards with a class 2 and some with a class 4. What is the difference and can either be used?? Thanks in advance.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

My camera takes a small SD card too. I ran into the same problem. Batteries + Bulbs said I might try Best Buy but they didn't think anyone made them anymore.

I have an older Pentax camera that I take photos of my projects with. I ran out of sd cards and it has been awhile since I bought my last one. I am not tuned into all the stuff so thought I would ask??? I looked on line because I can not find in stores any more a 2GB SanDisk card. This is as big as my camera will accept. I see 2gb cards with a class 2 and some with a class 4. What is the difference and can either be used?? Thanks in advance.:)

John, the class is the minimum write speed of the card(class 2 is 2MB/s, class 4 is 4MB/s, so on and so on), it really shouldn't matter as far as the class goes. More than likely you just need to make sure that it's a standard SD card and not a SDHC card.

Ed McDonnell

John - When you say you "ran out of cards" it sounds like you might be storing your pictures on the cards, buying new ones as they fill up. If that is the case you can buy a card reader and transfer the pictures to your computer. From there you can move them to CD, Flash Drive, external drive, the cloud or whatever. That would free up your old cards for new pictures.

If you aren't storing your pictures on the cards, then what happened to your old cards? They shouldn't be wearing out.

By the way, you can find 2GB sandisk cards on ebay. Buying from a top rated seller in the US should avoid problem cards. Prices range from "not too bad" to highway robbery. Shop around.

Ed

Last edited:

drise

Amazon has quite a few. SanDisk and other manufacturers. Seems funny the 2gb are more expensive than the 32gb.

Dave

jttheclockman

John, the class is the minimum write speed of the card(class 2 is 2MB/s, class 4 is 4MB/s, so on and so on), it really shouldn't matter as far as the class goes. More than likely you just need to make sure that it's a standard SD card and not a SDHC card.

What is the difference between SD and SDHC? Just for my own info. These are used for photos and no videos. So you say either speed is good to go. I looked on an old card and nowhere does it say class. That is what surprised me when I checked Amazon.

John - When you say you "ran out of cards" it sounds like you might be storing your pictures on the cards, buying new ones as they fill up. If that is the case you can buy a card reader and transfer the pictures to your computer. From there you can move them to CD, Flash Drive, external drive, the cloud or whatever. That would free up your old cards for new pictures.

If you aren't storing your pictures on the cards, then what happened to your old cards? They shouldn't be wearing out.

By the way, you can find 2GB sandisk cards on ebay. Buying from a top rated seller in the US should avoid problem cards. Prices range from "not too bad" to highway robbery. Shop around.

Ed

Ed thanks. Yes I keep the photos stored on the disc. I actually have stored many photos on different sources including a seperate memory stick and also the computer. I just hate to lose some older family photos because will never get them back and no chance to repeat. At one time I was able to buy those cards in sets and they were inexpensive. Now they are not cheap and hard to find other than on line. I will not buy them on ebay because I do not trust people there.

Amazon has quite a few. SanDisk and other manufacturers. Seems funny the 2gb are more expensive than the 32gb.

Dave
Thanks Dave and yes I saw that too and also saw the class thing there and that is why I am asking because there is a big price difference there too. The camera shoots good photos so I am not upgrading there and this is as big as it will support. I tried larger.

John, SD or Secure Digital, is basically the first generation card( little more complex than that, but that's a different conversation) SDHC or Secure Digital High Capacity, are second generation cards. Your camera will be able to write to any of the different class of cards as the minimum write speeds of the cards are just the speed of the memory itself, meaning that class 2 can easily be written to at least 2MB/s, class 4 can easily be written to at 4MB/s, 6 is 6, 8 is 8 and so on. If there's a large difference in price between the different class of cards and since you're not doing video, just go with the cheapest option and you'll be good to go.

gtriever

John, B&H Photo and Adorama Camera are good sources for 2GB cards. I can also suggest Transcend and PNY as alternate brands unless you're just locked into SanDisk.

Edit: Flash drives and USB hard drives are good solutions for backing up your photos. In my case, I have my entire collection backed up in 4 places: On the original folder in my computer, on a separate 2.5TB internal hard drive on my computer, on a USB 4TB external hard drive, and on a 128GB Flash Drive. I use an old Microsoft program called SyncToy to check for changes in the main folder and keep them all synchronized.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Now this may not be true on every camera. But I was told and have read that even though your camera says 2gb they will probably still use larger cards and fill them up, within limits. Here is an article that explains this.https://www.popularmechanics.com/te...cameras-wont-read-some-memory-cards-16326614/

Well in my case this is not true because I tried it a couple of larger cards and it does not recognise the card at all. I thought I was doing a good thing when I bought them because I could get more photos on it but not the case. :)

jttheclockman

John, SD or Secure Digital, is basically the first generation card( little more complex than that, but that's a different conversation) SDHC or Secure Digital High Capacity, are second generation cards. Your camera will be able to write to any of the different class of cards as the minimum write speeds of the cards are just the speed of the memory itself, meaning that class 2 can easily be written to at least 2MB/s, class 4 can easily be written to at 4MB/s, 6 is 6, 8 is 8 and so on. If there's a large difference in price between the different class of cards and since you're not doing video, just go with the cheapest option and you'll be good to go.

Got the same response on another site and they even gave me a link to look at where it explained all this stuff. So I will buy the cheaper class 2 and be good to go. Thanks to you and all that responded. I feel better now that I know this. I will order them. My shows start next week so hoping I can get some photos before then before all my stuff is sold out.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom