Calligraphy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ladycop322

I just completed a calligraphy class where I was taught the art of handwriting and also used an oblique pen. I am in love with this type of pen for dipping ink and practicing the art of calligraphy.

Anyone out there make oblique pens? I haven't the first clue how to begin to make the oblique nib holder and would love to find someone who can make me a custom one.

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

I don't remember what kind of pen we used , but I took calligraphy in high school over 30 years ago. Uh-oh, did I just age myself?

darrin1200

I haven't had a class yet, but I am slowly teaching myself? I got into copperplate, because someone asked me if I could make nib holders. I did a little research, and caught another bug.

An excellent calligraphy source, especially for beginners, is The Flourish Forum. Erica vets everyone that joins, to keep the trolls out, but it is filled with friendly folks.
Another source is IAMPETH.

Chris Yoke is a great source for information on making obliques. He also has a couple of excellent Youtube videos.

Dr. Joe Vitollo also has some excellent videos on adjusting obliques

Between nib and flange geometry, pen balance and shape, there is a lot to take in and learn. It has pulled me away from my fountain pens somewhat, but it is becoming a passion.

I have attached a picture of a couple of my recent holders. The bottom one, in the 3 set, is a straight holder.

Welcome to your newest slippery slope.

Attachments

• 20151015_184127.jpg
    20151015_184127.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 20160229_104153.jpg
    20160229_104153.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 105

LouCee

Last edited:

SDB777

I've always found it easier to use the ground nibs on a fountain pen set-up....although, I do have a pile on dip nibs on the desk in the backroom that have never been used. Maybe I'll toss them in a pouch and take them to the next meeting?

Scott (sort of a door prize) B

Top Bottom