CA glue and smartphones - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default CA glue and smartphones

I can't seem to use CA glue without getting some on my fingers, so I have simply come to expect that if I'm going to be doing a lot of gluing, I have to wear nitrile gloves. But if I'm doing a quick glue job, I sometimes take a shortcut, and that always means that I get some on my hands. The good news is that after washing my hands a few times, the dried glue will simply peel off.

My smartphone has a 'haptic sensor' - the power button reads my fingerprint as part of log-on security. But it seems that if I have a 'close encounter with CA', the sensor is no longer able to read the fingerprint, even long after I have removed all the glue. Instead, I have to reprogram the phone to read my finger.

I'm just speculating, but it almost seems like the process of getting glue on my finger, and then removing it, makes a subtle change in the fingerprint.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Instagram: @louie_powell_photo
monophoto is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 41

I would guess that it is the washing that is changing how your finger looks to the phone. But that would be a temporary change. Once your finger dries out it should work with the phone again. If it doesn't, then maybe you are pulling off skin when you pull off the CA.

Ed
Ed McDonnell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Try using acetone to remove the ca from your fingertips and see if that solves the problem.
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 34

No , but I have deliberately ignored that feature on my laptop because of what I see as potential problems . What happens when you cut your finger ? - not that any of us ever would , doing the things we do . How about a nice big sliver that gets infected for a day or two ?- less likely if you only turn plastic , I guess . Does the shape of your finger change a bit , affecting the reading , when your hands are tingling with cold from working outside when it`s -30 ? Or when you have been gripping something hard with your fingers when it is 90 F?

I don`t know the answers to these , But I`m pretty sure that CA removal of the outer skin layer leaves a smoother print , and that caused your problem . Your actual fingerprint as it would be recorded by the police (using CA if I remember what I have read of the procedure correctly) won`t have changed .

Last edited by 1080Wayne; 09-09-2018 at 11:46 AM.
1080Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Your phone and likely the laptop allow you to memorize multiple fingers for the same user so just use a finger or thumb that doesn't get glued. You can even have one of your wife's fingers in there so in the case of an emergency and you are down, she can grab your phone and call 911. Also lets you work the phone if you cut your finger.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I clean my fingers with acetone.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Your phone and likely the laptop allow you to memorize multiple fingers for the same user so just use a finger or thumb that doesn't get glued. You can even have one of your wife's fingers in there so in the case of an emergency and you are down, she can grab your phone and call 911. Also lets you work the phone if you cut your finger.
Most phones now allow someone to call 911 without a fingerprint or logging on at all.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've had this problem for years. I've put it down to either sanding off the fingerprint or altering it with glue residue etc.
I've programmed in a couple of finger tips but the only way around it it to memorise the pin! lol

http://www.hoslink.com/freestuff/australia_flag.gif
Sawdust Maker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust Maker View Post
I've had this problem for years. I've put it down to either sanding off the fingerprint or altering it with glue residue etc.
I've programmed in a couple of finger tips but the only way around it it to memorise the pin! lol
LOL. Same here. Seems to be a sem-regular rvent with me.
EPCTX is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Happens to me constantly.
JUICEDSS is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads