CA bottle split

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

A half bottle of thin CA (8 oz), on the 2nd shelf over my casting table, just split open down the side. What a mess. My scrolling wood, my Mica powders in there rack all glued down. I spent the afternoon breaking everything loose. Saved some lost some. Oh well what can you do.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jerry Fisher

CA glue should be stored in the frig to pro lng slef live and keep it from craking the bottle in hot weather. Sorry but it happened to me bout three years ago.

sgimbel

What I don't understand is how the bottle split. It changed shape like it was oval but it had nothing against it other than a half botttle of med CA. I guess it was the heat in the garage. It's been a little warm here in central Texas.

xxShadowxx

CA glue should be stored in the frig to pro lng slef live and keep it from craking the bottle in hot weather. Sorry but it happened to me bout three years ago.

...advice that can be ignored if a bottle of ca only lasts couple days :biggrin:

randyrls

A half bottle of thin CA (8 oz), on the 2nd shelf over my casting table, just split open down the side. What a mess. My scrolling wood, my Mica powders in there rack all glued down. I spent the afternoon breaking everything loose. Saved some lost some. Oh well what can you do.

Scott; Had that happen once here in Pennsylvania. Now all my CA bottles have holders of empty cans, or cheap METAL painter pails.

Woodlvr

I filled a 2oz bottle of thin ca and within 3 weeks it turned to gel, it would flow but would not come out of the spout. My shop has AC and is heated. I kept it in a closet type cabinet and it keeps happening. Monty gave me some advice but I forgot what it was, I need to check with him again.

I keep open bottles of CA on a shelf above my lathe... all three viscosities... unopened bottles on a shelf above my work bench. My shop is a metal building and during the summer reached temps over 100 deg several days... most days in the mid 90's... I've never ever stored a bottle in the fridge - likely would get a knot on the head if I did - so far have never had a problem with spoilage or spillage. Even in Houston stored CA the same way.... I only buy the 2 oz bottles from Monty and keep one or two bottles of all viscosities in reserve. I tried the larger bottles, but made such a mess refilling the smaller bottles I decided to let someone else do that part.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Don't know why the bottle would suddenly split, but I've heard of this happening to at least 3 people.
In my opinion, storage of CA is as fickle as a CA finish. Some have good luck keeping it uncapped in the shop, some like to store it in the fridge. All I can really suggest is to try to keep contamination out of the bottle and try different storage methods and see what give you the best results.

I have had it happen twice. Once was a slow leak that ended up with CA drips looking like foot long icicles. Two days later another bottle split. Still have a metal container of blo glued to the shelf. Then I heard about keeping it in fridge.

At least I didn't glue myself to the floor.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I emailed EZ Bond and ask if he had any complaints about bottles splitting and received this response.
Never, unless they placed the CA under 50 degrees or freezer
the bottle even hardly to be cut by knife honestly, I have no
answer for you can your customer provide the bottle to us for
investigation

If you have split bottle that you would like to send in, call me
for more info on returning it.

Top Bottom