bushing question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

Are the baron bushings the same as the Jr. Gent bushings? I am considering trying the Jr. Gent kit, but at the same time, I need baron bushings, as my current ones are severely worn. I would hate to buy both sets, if one set will do.
One more thing, have the thread problems with the Jr. Gents been fixed yet?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mikey

Baron bushings are the same size on both ends. Jr Gent VI bushings are different on the posting end. (about .010 smaller or something like that)

gerryr

You need to clarify which Jr. Gents version you want to try. The Jr. Gents Version 2 has different size tubes than Version 1. Version 1 had the same size tubes as the Baron , but one bushing was slightly smaller than the other. I made several Version 1 Jr. Gents and had no problems at all with the threads, I think that problem was only on Version 2.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />You need to clarify which Jr. Gents version you want to try. The Jr. Gents Version 2 has different size tubes than Version 1. Version 1 had the same size tubes as the Baron , but one bushing was slightly smaller than the other. I made several Version 1 Jr. Gents and had no problems at all with the threads, I think that problem was only on Version 2.

Your signature quote is most appropriate. The dizzying variations in bushing, drill, mandrel sizes make us all crazy. I believe most pen turners would try more styles if the suppliers didn't make the selections so confusing.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />You need to clarify which Jr. Gents version you want to try. The Jr. Gents Version 2 has different size tubes than Version 1. Version 1 had the same size tubes as the Baron , but one bushing was slightly smaller than the other. I made several Version 1 Jr. Gents and had no problems at all with the threads, I think that problem was only on Version 2.

Your signature quote is most appropriate. The dizzying variations in bushing, drill, mandrel sizes make us all crazy. I believe most pen turners would try more styles if the suppliers didn't make the selections so confusing.

This thread, as it turns out, is rather moot at this point anyway. I ordered some stuff from CS USA today (my second time) and was called later in the morning and told that most of what I had ordered was out of stock. I cancelled the whole order. I wasn't going to pay all that shipping, if I was only going to get a third of what I ordered. Needless to say, I immediately went over to Arizona Silhouette, and ordered some barons, with a new set of bushings. Maybe I'll finally get around to turning some statesmans, if they ever get them back in stock. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed. But now my pen budget has been spent on barons, so it'll be some time till i can afford to go back to CS USA.

JimGo

Originally posted by daveturns05

This thread, as it turns out, is rather moot at this point anyway. I ordered some stuff from CS USA today (my second time) and was called later in the morning and told that most of what I had ordered was out of stock. I cancelled the whole order. I wasn't going to pay all that shipping, if I was only going to get a third of what I ordered.

I placed an order yesterday and had the same problem. I think that's actually Mikey's fault - he ran that group buy, which probably exceeded their expected demand in the short term. Next time, instead of canceling the order, talk to the CSUSA rep about alternative shipping arrangements. They've been very reasonable in the past with me, and I'm FAR from a big-time buyer of their stuff (or anyone else's) so I'm not getting any kind of special treatment. They're just a very decent group of people who are willing to help where they can.

JimGo

That's what I thought, too, but I couldn't remember if I paid $0, or if they shipped it via USPS, and it was so light that I didn't even have to pay the standard flat-rate shipping.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by thetalbott4
<br />You dont pay for the extra shipping. CSU pays for anything not shipped with the original order.
Wow, wish I had known that. Makes sense, though. Still the biggest reason I was ordering from them was the statesman and the jr. gents. I'll try and make an order next month. Anybody got a statesman kit and bushings they'd like to trade for baron kits and/or wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom