Bulding plans.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

Has anyone bought any building plans off line? if so which site did you go with?

I am looking to build a 16x16 building.
I have talk to a builder about 2 weeks ago and they quoted me a price which I was good with $3400 built and was told it would be a couple weeks. I tried to get a hold of them to see if they had a start date and haven't heard anything back.
I am hoping to have it built by thanksgiving so I can finish the inside.

If I don't here from them soon it looks like I will have to build it myself.

I would like to get plans to build it my self, besides just throwing something up.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

When I was looking to build an 8x12 I found that I could get one prebuilt and delivered for less than the cost of materials. The give back was the walls were not a full 8 foot high, but with the savings I paid the electrician to wire the new building.

hanau

The prefab buildings 12x16 was 4200 and i would have to take my wood gates done to get it in the yard.
I am hoping that the contractor gets back in touch it was about $3400 stick built for a 16x16.

I think i will be at around $2500 with the plans i just found online but I will have to build it myself.

Going to drop the bill of materials off at lowes and see what it will total.

GaryMGg

Go to the builders pro desk at Lowe's, get their AMEX and get builder's prices plus free delivery on your building package.
Lots of places sell plans online.
You want to be sure the plans are up to code for your location.
The first building I built (8' X 16'), I used paper plans for a shed bought at Lowe's. I think they were $5.00

Looking back, it's like 'the first one is free.

:biggrin::biggrin:

Rounder

I got some plans at cheapshed.com. Good details and materials from what I saw and read. Eventually went with the pre-built.

MRDucks2

That is a good price on the building , Rick. I had a 12x24 built in Houston 2 years ago with 8' side walls, a 6x7 rollup door in one end, 2 windows 2x3, a 36" 9 light door, a 4x12 loft, a shelf across one end, full length ridge vent, 2 gable vents (it gets hot in Houston), upgraded floor joists, 3/4" flooring, 30 year shingles, 4x6 skids, built 23" off the ground (it gets wet in Houston) for $5585 and it was good deal down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Woodchipper

Stonepecker has it right. My grandfather said- Little bit good, Whole lot better. I recommend you go out into the yard and lay out the dimensions you are looking at. This might give you an idea of the floor size. I figure square footage on the size of my upper floor- 1,300 sq. ft. Small BR is 10X10, great reference tool.
Good luck!

Herb G

I priced a new steel building installed in my area & about had a heart attack.
A 30' X 60' building (pretty standard size here) was $65K installed. :eek:

Considering pulling all the permits, doing the footers & concrete pad, erecting the building, and finishing it off, probably not a bad price for here.

Way out of my league though. :frown:

hanau

Thanks all for the replies,
The builder called me lateer that day to let me know it willbe the next week that they will start.

I already have a 20 x 26 shop just wanting to separate my woodworking tools from my metal working stuff.

I am out of space to work on anything wood related with out having to move everything from my metal working.

hanau

They finally started on my shop yesterday.
The showed up at 10am to a empty spot in my yard.
Then they left at 4pm and had this much completed.

I get to start on insulating and running power. Then closing the walls in.

I have a question will it be ok to put insulation right up to the bottom of the roof?
The roof will be metal.

JvkZeJn.jpg

Attachments

• JvkZeJn.jpg
    JvkZeJn.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

MRDucks2

I put insulation right up to the roof sheathing on the one I had built in Houston with a shingle roof. It did have ridge vent the length of the roof which I left open on the inside to help vent both the roof line and the inside. Fewer cold days there than you may get. I was going to vent the eves but when I calculated the venting needed and looked at it, there was enough gap. If I had decided I needed airspace, I think I would have installed the 2 or 3 inch rigid foam insulation between the rafters.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

stonepecker

Looking good. Nice lines and all.

I would look how high my benches are going to be and make sure that your electric boxes are high enough. Looking around the picture I assume that you don't get a lot of winter there. Put a box down low by the door. Just something I always do for outdoor work.

A good milk house heater should be enough to keep that warm and toasty.

Herb G

I'd insulate the roof too. My Dad had an Amish shed built 30 years ago.
12' X 20' or so. I insulated the whole thing peak to floor. I put lauan plywood over the whole thing & sealed the joints with drywall mud.

It has set out in the weather for 30+ years now, all it needed was paint & shingles. The insulation keeps it at a comfortable temp thru the year, despite having vents at the peaks on both ends.

Oldfolks

You might look at spray foam insulation. Costly but I highly recommend it. I have a total electric home built in 2012, 2300 sq ft with a metal roof. No sheeting under the metal just spray foam and foam in the walls. Average electric bill $130 - $140 month.

Beautys_Beast

I would look into a steel door. You will lose more heat through the double wooden door than you will from any lack of insulation.

Woodchipper

I respectfully disagree with BB. Wood is a good insulator. If you go with a steel door, make sure it is insulated. I have an uninsulated steel overhead garage door and the effect is basically having the door open in the summer and winter. My wife took it upon herself to close it off by putting visqueen over the door and securing it around the perimeter. Interior temps are much better now. If I have to heat it, the time to get it warm is minimal.

Top Bottom