Built a pen tonight

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

With all the tutorials here and the videos on the internet and all the new point and shoot cameras available this is the best you can do:eek::eek::eek: I think there is a pen there and you know we are just kidding buddy. :biggrin::biggrin:

I believe there will be no scars. You will be fine.

Now I will give you points for doing that on such a thin blank. One oops and that is it. But I will say this over and over there is no better and more useful tool to turn pens.

I have a project that I want to pursue someday and that is I want to learn to sharpen my tools on my Tormek grinder. I bought all these turning tool adapters years ago but never played with them. Always reach for the slow speed grinder and or hone. This does a good job but i like a challenge and want to see if there is any difference other than the slowness of the Tormek. Oh so many things to do.

CREID

I just have no desire to be a good photographer, but this one is pretty bad. It seems I am even worse with an Iphone.:eek:
I used to have the jet version of the Tormek wet grinder, but I had to sell it when I moved. I had all the attachments for it. But when you are broke and have to move you do what you have to.
As for Using the skew on such thin blanks. I am using these as practice. The blanks are from a special from Exotic Blanks that were pre drilled and pre glued and also the pen kits are from a special from them also. The kits came in at 10 kits of chrome for real cheap and the blanks are red and green and were cheap, enough for ten pens so If I blow one up i'm only out a small amount.
I am getting better at the skew though. :)

Ambidex

I'm with you Curt..I've turned some very nice pens but really don't care about photography. This hobby can be pricey enough without having to add another expensive hobby to it.I know, I know...it doesn't have to be expensive...uhhuh. Perhaps we should start a new contest category of the most gorgeous pen made plain by lack of interest in photographic skills? Too long?? Let me know, I'm sure I'd have a shot:biggrin:

Skie_M

advantages of a slow speed grinder over high speed ....

Doesn't heat up the tool so fast, so that you can maintain the hardness and temper ...
Doesn't remove material as fast, so you extend the life of the tool ...
Not quite as loud, so you stay married longer and have friendly neighbors longer ...

jttheclockman

Doesn't heat up the tool so fast, so that you can maintain the hardness and temper ...
Not quite as loud, so you stay married longer and have friendly neighbors longer ...

The differences with a Tormek and a slow speed grinder is it is even slower and is water cooled. No loud noises on either one. Both have their advantages I guess. I am going to have to find a place to set the Tormek up and leave it. Tough to find wall space in my shop these days. :)

The differences with a Tormek and a slow speed grinder is it is even slower and is water cooled. No loud noises on either one. Both have their advantages I guess. I am going to have to find a place to set the Tormek up and leave it. Tough to find wall space in my shop these days. :)

I got rid of my Tormek with honing wheels in favor of a slow speed grinder & Wolverine setup along with a double sided diamond file. Now that I have much nicer (as in more expensive) tools, I wish I would've kept it. I think the lackluster cost/performance ratio was due to shoddy tools, not the machine. I'll get another, but I'd like a bandsaw & fullsize lathe first.

CREID - I've started using a skew on pens, but not start to finish yet. It's the tool I wish to master the most, kudos on seeing it through. Don't worry, scars on men are like beauty marks on women. Chicks dig the rugged look

CREID

I got rid of my Tormek with honing wheels in favor of a slow speed grinder & Wolverine setup along with a double sided diamond file. Now that I have much nicer (as in more expensive) tools, I wish I would've kept it. I think the lackluster cost/performance ratio was due to shoddy tools, not the machine. I'll get another, but I'd like a bandsaw & fullsize lathe first.

CREID - I've started using a skew on pens, but not start to finish yet. It's the tool I wish to master the most, kudos on seeing it through. Don't worry, scars on men are like beauty marks on women. Chicks dig the rugged look
Yea, I believe that the wet sanders like Tormek are better, and they aren't really that much slower. I had the Tormek Jet knockoff because I also do woodcarving and it does a wonderful job on carving tools.
Then where are the chicks? Beside after 58, oops 57, my birthday isn't until tomorrow, I have enough scars. I should have women beating down my door. :eek:
Yea also I used to be competitive archer and I really wanted to master that. And I did.:biggrin: Won many championships, and if you can do that then you should be able to master something as small as a skew. Thanks for the kudos, I am using stones that I use to sharpen carving tools to sharpen the skew, and it is sharp! I will master it.!

Well then, I wish you a Happy Birthday, and many more!

I agree, the only good skew is a sharp skew. I get a much better edge on my 2 nicer skews than my old cheap one, and since the tool does the work instead of me forcing it, the results are better. I prefer my oval skew so far, but it's not the easiest tool to sharpen. The wolverine skew jig certainly helps but is somewhat expensive considering I only use it for the oval one. The platform is much better for the straight skew imo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom