Buffing eye glasses?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
My glasses have plastic lenses and are starting to show signs of abuse. I should go and get retested and get new ones, but wondered if anyone had successfully polished out scratches with their pen buffing wheels?:glasses-nerdy:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
You will change the correction with buffing. I might try 4000+ micromesh by hand, but definitely nothing much coarser.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If your plastic lenses have a scratch resistant coating on them from when they were first made. You will have to buff through that. If your not carefull you can buff a flat spot on them ruining the curvature that corrects your vision.

Curly

:glasses-nerdy: I don't know for sure but if the lens has deep scratches and you remove them, the curvature of the lens will not be the same, altering the prescription. Polishing fine scratches may not be a problem. Try an old pair of specs if you have them in a corner of the junk drawer.

There has to be an optometrist in the crowd able give an educated opinion.

Chasper

I used white diamond on a soft cotton wheel and it did a good job removing scratches on a pair of good non-prescription sun glasses. It didn't work so well on a cheap pair of sun glasses that had the tint coating on the outside. It buffed off the coating and let the sun shine in.

Sylvanite

I have a pair of polycarbonate lens glasses that became speckled with CA fumes. After deciding that I couldn't make it worse, I polished them with NOVUS. It took the CA spots off, but also polished through the anti-reflective coating. The glasses still function, but they have extra reflections in the polished spot, and slight blur around the edge.

I replaced the glasses, but keep them around for dirty work.

I hope that helps,
Eric

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Bruce, that's a good idea with the micromesh. I have never used it, but your post reminded me that Lou gave me some years ago. I'm going to give it a try. I will get new ones anyway and found some old work glasses to keep me going if I mess them up

I'm sitting here in the lounge with my missus watching the box.

I held up my glasses, (which are pretty thick), to the light to show her the marks. Guess what the cheeky moo said???:mad:

'Careful you don't set fire to your face' :eek:

She's soooooooo caring!!!:rolleyes:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam

I held up my glasses, (which are pretty thick), to the light to show her the marks. Guess what the cheeky moo said???:mad:

Maybe time to trade her in too:rolleyes:

Papo

Yeah yeah; it works well, specially if you use Tripoli and then some Carnubas wax.
that's what I use on mine.I even polish the frames and all.No problems so far.
Even the teller at the bank once mention that my Glasses shiiiiinnnnnnnn

Lenny

IF I were to try it (and I have thought of it) ... I would start with the finest abrasive first .... Like PlastX ... then maybe Novus 2 ....only buffing by hand with a soft cloth. They use that on motorcycle windshields, right?

I have actually tried the above ....but only on reading glasses that cost $2.00 at Job Lots! :)

I'll wait for your results before trying it on my $300 ones! :eek:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well I had a go and they seem LOADS better. I reckon I got 90% of the scratches out. :biggrin: At least the spot that used to catch my line of sight is gone. They'll do till I can get some new ones.

I used Auto Glym Super Resin Polish and a soft cloth. Couldn't find the MM

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Grant, yeh she's a real sweetheart. :rolleyes: Give me your address and I'll swap her for a couple of slimlines. :biggrin:

Rick P

Bruce, that's a good idea with the micromesh. I have never used it, but your post reminded me that Lou gave me some years ago. I'm going to give it a try. I will get new ones anyway and found some old work glasses to keep me going if I mess them up

Hmmm well not sure I want to share this.........ya well see I used to be not such a nice guy. Might have found myself in trouble a time or two. There is a possibility I even landed in a place that you cant technically smoke.........but you can use the lens from a pair of glasses to light a butt if you want a smoke badly enough! IF you get hold of some really thick ones. Paper clips and an old pencil will work too.......bit shocking to the guy who looses the draw!

I dont smoke anymore.

Last edited:

bensoelberg

I think I would have much bigger problems than scratched glasses if my wife ever heard me refer to her as 'the moo!' :eek::biggrin:

t001xa22

The very best stuff I ever used during my years as a signmaker on plastics was "Plexus". It was originally designed to remove fine scratches and polish aircraft windshields and windows. It is an aerosol product, black can with blue copy, and was originally made in Houston. The last time I saw it sold retail was in various auto supply stores. I also used on my personal plastic lensed glasses for many years, and it never harmed the coatings. This is one product I would recommend bar none. It also acts as an anti-static agent, too.

Top Bottom