Bubinga/rosewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Because of the new restrictions I haven't been able to get any of the rosewoods locally for some time, but could still get bubinga. My local exotic woods dealer told me that it is becoming very hard to get now, so I bought about $60 worth yesterday.

I at least found out why it has been restricted. As I understand it, it has to do with the Chinese economy. As their economy improves, their middle class is growing. One of the big status symbols in China is furniture made from rosewood. So the demand for the rosewoods has gone up dramatically. CITES moved to protect what was left. Because bubinga looks a lot like rosewood, Chinese furniture makers have been using it instead of rosewood for the traditional furniture, so it had to be protected as well.

Scott

Hi Sharon!

We took a trip to China earlier this year, and the growth in their economy is obvious everywhere you go! Ditto to the growing middle class. What a beautiful country, and what beautiful people!

I seem to remember having a nice stick of curly bubinga around someplace. Wonder if I can find it?

Scott.

Top Bottom