broken tool rest and tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mjrbuzz

Im very new, this is the reault of my first attempt at a bowl. Grrrrrrrr i dont think there is anywhere locally to replace the toolrest and that bumms me out

Attachments

• IMG_20140924_174241.jpg
    IMG_20140924_174241.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 317
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mjrbuzz

What lathe do you have. I may have something.

Its a mini HF lathe i think the post is an odd size either 1/2 in or 12 mm I dont have a decient set of callipers yet so i used a tape measure. I sent a PM to rick to see if he could build me something for it :)

mjrbuzz

My suggestion would be to find your local turning club and ask somebody who turns bowls to help you out for a minute or two. It is a different ballgame than pens The kind of force it took to do that could have been a lot worse if it was you instead of that rest that got broke.

Yes i'm glad something gave...kinda.... now I'm out of turning till i get something and have a very small show of sorts that i wanted to have some stuff ready :) but thats the way it works if i didn't use it it wouldnt have broke

Its a mini HF lathe i think the post is an odd size either 1/2 in or 12 mm I dont have a decient set of callipers yet so i used a tape measure. I sent a PM to rick to see if he could build me something for it :)

Are you sure it's not a 5/8" post... if so PSI carries a series of 5/8" round bar tool rests... I replaced my broken TR off my Jet 1014 with a set...

mjrbuzz

Are you sure it's not a 5/8" post... if so PSI carries a series of 5/8" round bar tool rests... I replaced my broken TR off my Jet 1014 with a set...

I am sure its not a 5/8, i probably could drill it out on the drill press if i really need to, I may do that anyways to add a lil more umph to it :)

mjrbuzz

You can borrow mine for the time being. I don't use that lathe for turning, just sanding and polishing. Is it the smaller tool rest?

Clark i would gladly take you up on that, I'm not picky i'll use any one that ya have as a spare till i get one from rick.

mjrbuzz

I dont, but ill make a trip in, i have the art about here on the island oct 11th and would like to have abou 20 pens made up for it and i only have my first 7 haha.

robutacion

I dont, but ill make a trip in, i have the art about here on the island oct 11th and would like to have abou 20 pens made up for it and i only have my first 7 haha.

OK, try to resolve your immediate needs with a replacement too rest however, after you have the new tool rest, stop attempting making any bowls until we can talk a little more and find out if, there is any other party of the lathe that may have been damaged (metal cracks are nasty things) and after that, we may need to also discuss so techniques applicable to bowl turning, doing the damage you did, tells me that, you are doing something very wrong and therefore, very dangerous that can cause you considerable harm so, get the pens done and we will have a chat here in public so that, everyone else can contribute and allow another new turners to learn something...!

Good luck,

Cheers
George

mjrbuzz

OK, try to resolve your immediate needs with a replacement too rest however, after you have the new tool rest, stop attempting making any bowls until we can talk a little more and find out if, there is any other party of the lathe that may have been damaged (metal cracks are nasty things) and after that, we may need to also discuss so techniques applicable to bowl turning, doing the damage you did, tells me that, you are doing something very wrong and therefore, very dangerous that can cause you considerable harm so, get the pens done and we will have a chat here in public so that, everyone else can contribute and allow another new turners to learn something...!

Good luck,

Cheers
George

As i said this is my first try at turning a bowl, therefore there is no technique i am learning the only way i can that is by doing and tring to figure out what not to do. I know next time i will chuck a forsner bit in to remove a bunch of stock to begin with :)

Good luck,

Cheers
George

George,
I broke my tool rest on my little Jet1014 turning a Zebrawood bowl... mine was definitely a technique problem... I was clearing the inside of the bowl and put the tool against the wood BEFORE I laid the tool on the tool rest... very amateurish error... the tool grabbed and slammed down onto the cast metal tool rest and shattered the rest and the post... no harm to the lathe otherwise... I've since replaced it with steel round bar rests and have had no troubles since -- since I learned to ALWAYS start with the tool on the rest, then insert into the wood.

I will say this I learned a new dance that day trying to avoid pieces of the tool rest flying about and a bowl bouncing off the wall... probably wasn't all that pretty and graceful. :biggrin:

sbell111

Back to the issue of tool rest size, Do you know which HF lathe that you have? Based on your picture, I think that it is #95607, but can you confirm?

Top Bottom