Bringing jobs back to America - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2018, 07:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I would look in your owner's manual and contact the district or regional office with a nice long letter, detailing your situation. With all the brands of cars, competition is stiff and I would think that a company would want to keep customers, not drive them away.
Edit- My son has traveled to China for checking on vendors for his company. Hard to justify $500 a week when you can get products from a place that has a wage of $500 a month. I know of a third generation furniture manufacturer. He said it is cheaper to have the furniture made in China, pay the shipping and import duties than have it made here in town as it was for over 50 years.

Last edited by Woodchipper; 07-06-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Woodchipper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Well might as well throw in my $0.02. We live outside a small town and the closest Ford dealer is 25 miles away. My wife works in Abilene and used to take her car there for service until she got so fed up with their attitude and shoddy service. I contacted the service manager in Coleman, which is 25 miles away, and he offered to meet me on a Saturday to change her oil and fix some minor problems. Since then I take both vehicles to Coleman when I need help. They have towed my truck in at no charge and even met me on a Sunday afternoon to do a oil change. Living in the country is not only peaceful, the people are more concerned about helping each other than screwing you out of a dollar.
Thats my vent and I'm sticking to it.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 18

I think one thing that has messed up the upcoming workforce is teens no longer have the opportunity and often a reason to have a summertime job or afterschool work in which work ethics and the ability to think your way through problems are learned. Too many people Ive had to train at work were totally clueless of the routine of problem solving and paying attention to whats going on, getting by on going through the motions without checking results. This is something thats learned and needs to be a basic part of any training.

Stabilized blanks and more
Gary Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2018, 09:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I know what you mean. For the last 5 years i have been struggling to find a competent warehouse helper. I keep getting stuck with 20 somethings who have no concept of what hard work is. With any luck ill be doing interviews soon and i already know anyone under 30 is probably going to have a hard time impressing me.
MSpringer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-06-2018, 09:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

Sounds to me like a lot of us have purchased cars through the dealership Lithia. Bought my wife's Jeep through them and had nothing but trouble with them. I get my oil changed at the local Great Falls Firestone tire store, full synthetic and they do a great job. Tires and wheels I get from Costco and they do a great job. Costco probably saved me a bunch of money after finding out the wheels I had were rated at a max PSI of 60 and were not off road rated. My truck tires are supposed to be 65 in front and 80 for the rear. Les Shaub sold me the wheels and could have been a big problem when towing the trailer. I've been blessed with a son in law who was Air Force trained as a heavy equipment mechanic and he and I do all the other work to our vehicles. I did contact Chrysler/Jeep about Lithia and all they said was that they were sorry. I probably won't buy another Chrysler/Jeep product again, at least not through Lithia.
wolf creek knives is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-06-2018, 10:30 AM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
With gas at $3.09/gal, and the distance to return to the dealer, no I didn't return. No I didn't inspect it at the dealer, as we were on our way home from having lunch, and I didn't want to crawl under and around a vehicle in my better clothes.
I don't really think going back would do much anyway, since the people seem to be changing regularly. That might be from other complaints, and if so, it isn't getting better.
I paid for a service, at a professional business, so I had certain expectations of the job being done properly. Maybe they would have wanted to make it right, but if they couldn't do it correct the first time, there is no way they are going to touch the vehicle to "make it right". Do you send food back, and expect it not to have a little "extra" on it when it comes back? Anytime someone complains, and gets it corrected, the chances of something else being done goes up significantly.

This is not the only establishment that this has been noticed at. It is becoming the normal. No one knows how to, or doesn't want to do their job, and they expect ridiculous compensation for incompetence.
These places wonder why they are loosing business and filing bankruptcy.

Yes, I could have done it myself, and I plan to in the future (I depend on our vehicle), and I also could have went back, but is it worth going back? Not for me. Ever. So here is another business loosing a customer, and potentially others, I'm sure. It only takes a few, and word of mouth.

I got off track a little, but yes a vent sometimes helps with frustration.
I have to say that I'm very familiar with situations as yours and I have to agree on 2 important points, the first is in regards to your comment about the type of work we get from our own people and their charges, secondly I also agree that, if you pay good money to get a job done (regardless if you could do it or not), you have the right to expect things to be done right, you shouldn't have to check it.

There is off-course in a perfect world, we are far from it and yes, complaining and pi$$ing them off, may only work if you never let them touch your vehicle again because if you do, there is a very good chance that, and as you so well pointed out, something will be done to the vehicle as retribution, costing more money to have it fixed, I had that done to me more than once...!

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #17 (permalink)

I work at a university and find that lack of vocational training in schools and the importance of preparing students to pass tests for accreditation,etc. is killing the education they should be getting.

We supervise students in building and erecting sets for the school plays. A very high percentage cannot read a fuller, add or deal with fractions. They seldom check their work so I can see how that filters out into the real world.

If you can separate them from their cell phones you have accomplished something.
jjjaworski is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

Young people now are more interesting in computer work or designing video games. I had an offer to manage a fast food restaurant several years ago. I turned it down as I didn't want to deal with kids who decided when they got up if they wanted to go to work or not.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #19 (permalink)

It all starts at home.
smik is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-06-2018, 11:10 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quality of vehicle service is very dependent on how the service provider executes that part of their business. When incentives are paid on finishing something in less than book time, finding additional service needs or selling add-on parts or service, the service organization suffers. If only hourly wages are paid and the company does not value its service revenue or margins, the wages actually are too local to keep good talent.

I have not trusted dealerships for decades. But, finding a solid local mechanic is also getting tough. I find they are becoming not only rare, but only available in two general stereo-types: old white guys who still own a service business and younger non-white often first or second generation US Citizens.

If a young person has solid mechanical skills I will probably pay him more, with better benefits to work in heavy industrial service for my company than he will make working for a dealership or auto service company.

20-25 years ago I was part of a couple of industrial maintenance professional groups who went around the country harping on the fact that we were losing skilled maintenance people in industry at an unsustainable rate and it would be critical 15 years from then. This was just the translation from the baby boomers to my and the next generation. Guess what? We are there and it hasnít just affected industrial maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads