bowl turning tearout

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

At the AAW symposium this year I was introduced to a negative rake scraper. They do a great job of removing tearout. Use it after the bowl is turned to shape and before sanding to virtually eliminate tearout.

Jim Burr

Banned
Couple things you can do... Whatever size quality bowl gouge shakes your tree, fingernail grind, crazy sharp and approach it with a shear cut. You don't mention if it's inside or outside, but don't forget your 80 grit gouge!!

lorbay

When I am doing my final cuts in the inside of the bowl I sharpen every pass. After seeing this at the AAW a few years back with Glenn Lucas I get very little tearout now.
Lin.

jscola

It is dry cherry that was turned wet 2 yrs ago I just rechucked it and am finishing the outside first. Using a 3/8 fingernail grind bowl gouge. I tried a scraper but made it worse. Thanks for replies. Joe

nava1uni

I apply sanding sealer and let it dry before my final passes. Very sharp tool, hone between passes for a couple of times and then resharpen. Try to make a complete sweep and not break up pass a lot.

kovalcik

Also make sure you are cutting in the direction that supports the grain. From Bottom to rim on the outside and rim to bottom on the inside (for a normal bowl shape).

BJohn

Sharp tools is the best way to prevent it. Like mentioned earlier. Use a sharp as possible tool on you final cut. But obviously the better cut you have the less sanding you need to do.

Top Bottom