bowl tool rests

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tipusnr

I have a JET mini and am finally going to break down and do some bowl turning. I don't have any of the curved tool rests and don't foresee using them a lot. Does anyone know of the least expensive place to get one? Additionally any advice over which type (the "s" or the separate concave/convex) are more versatile and useful would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've turned allot of bowls and all I have are straight tools rests.

Someday I plan on getting one, if I do it would be something like this. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=361-2004
or this
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=130-5000

The top link you get get a tool post that fits fine, or better yet, if you have can weld you can make your own curved tool rest.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I have yet to find a need for a curved bowl rest on any of the ones I have made on my 1236...
On a larger lathe turning bowls over say 12" I can see where they would come in handy... but not on smaller bowls..

Doghouse

It is realy a question of if you mind moving your tool rest. The one sided ones get in the way less and are both depending on where you put them. I like the threaded 2 piece, because you can flip it over before you have to flatten it again.

woodwish

I also have made a lot of bowls, some have been double the size of what you will be able to do on a Jet-mini and used only straight tool rests. I use the round type from Best Wood Tools and never even thought about getting a curved one. Save your money for something like a bigger lathe if you really want to turn bowls often IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom