Bottle Stopper Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

I just started turning bottle stoppers and am curious what people are using for a finish. I know people use the stoppers for wine, oils, all kinds of things, so want to make sure I give them the best finish possible

THanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Mitch -- these get used for alcohol, for dry goods (like bottles of peppercorns) and for oil an vinegar bottles.

I avoid shellac finishes with liquids, but they work well on dry uses. Have had good success with CA finishes, Lacquer, and with polyurethane varnishes.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I use the same thing that I use on pens - either Myland's friction Polish or Craft Coat

I figure they don't get handled all that much, so I've used the HUT wax system on my latest... 3 coats of brown, then three coats of white, high speed buffing in between with paper towels, then 3 coats of carnuba - again buffed out with paper towels... a finish takes 10-15 minutes.

I've also tried the spray lacquers - which I don't like and multiple coats of polyurethane... problem with poly and lacquer is sanding between coats and drying time... the finish becomes too time consuming for what I charge for bottle stoppers.

jfoh

I use Behlen qualalacq lacquer for wine stoppers. After applying the last coat I let it cure for two to three weeks before buffing. that allows it to get very hard and it takes a great shine. this finish has been a very durable finish for me. It does take time but the results are worth the extra effort.

wyone

what great ideas.. so has anyone seen what they are like in a year or so? I worry about the CA or lacquer cracking and such. I have not tried pens plus, but it sounds like maybe I should.

I am still working on the sanding aspect. I have eliminated most of my sanding on pens by using a skew, but not having the same success on the stoppers. I used a 2 inch sanding pad and made my own self powered sander, but that seems to be overkill.

I am spoiled by having the finish be 80% done when I finish with the skew on pens. :)

monophoto

First choice has been Minwax WOP, but I have also used a few other finishes in special cases.

One special is stoppers with captive rings - finishing a captive ring is a bit more complicated (it is necessary to finish the outside of the ring before it is cut free, and then finish the inside, and it's hard to apply a friction polish and build up any heat. So I've tended to use pure tung oil for those.

wyone

PFFT you want me to try captive rings? I am thinking I am doing good coming up with a shape that does not look weird that I can get a smooth finish on! lol Although see.. now you have me thinking about it. But it would require buying a tool for doing that,, so.. I want to! lol

dankc908

FYI re: Bottle Stoppers - If the stopper is to be used for red wine DO NOT use Chrome Bottle Stopper hardware. Use the Stainless Steel. I have had some returned due to pitting that will not happen with the Stainless Steel hardware.

wyone

I bought Stainless Steel made in the USA stoppers from Ruth Niles... they are pretty awesome and her mandrel and bit kit are great. I was worried about the pitting, as most will probably go to friends. :)

TonyL

I just visited her site...lots of nice stuff. I would love it if she made pen kits!

wyone

I thought the same thing Tony. Plus she is VERY nice and VERY fast in shipment. I had no clue what I was needing to buy and had a series of emails back and forth and she was VERY fast in response and VERY helpful. I also have to say, the quality of the stoppers is pretty awesome. I doubt I will buy a stopper from anyone else.

hcpens

Mitch, making a captive ring is tricky without a special tool, but I do it with just a parting tool and my carbide tools. Have broken many rings, on worthless wood first then as you get better at it, you can move over to good wood.

wyone

So you are telling me it does require skill and practice, so if I mess up not to worry. :) :) that actually does make me feel better. I am thinking.. plan the stopper design for NOT having the captive ring.. then attempt it and if I mess it up.. then I can go back to the basic stopper. :)

Thank you.. sincerely.. :)

dogcatcher

I do one coat of teak oil, let dry for 48 hours and a coat of spar varnish. Spar is an outside finish, one of the best for boats, if it can handle a boat, a bottle stopper is a piece of cake.

Top Bottom