Boston hasn't been nice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

Traveled with my son to Boston to secure housing for a job move he is making at the beginning of February. While touring one house, the owner comes in and messes with the steam heat while we are upstairs. Covers the stairs in steam, unbeknownst to us. Walking down the stairs my son slips and falls, breaking his arm.

Spent the afternoon in the ER getting it diagnosed. Went to the Orthopedic doctor today. Long story made shorter - "This is serious. Lesions on the bone. Probably cancer. Maybe blood infection or bone inspection. DON'T WAIT til you move to Boston to have this looked at! Good luck!" Oh, the tests I think you should get will cost about $20,000....hope you have good insurance. (Present insurance isn't very good, insurance which starts Feb 1 is pretty good..)

How about we scare the crap out of a 25 year old, his father, mother and expectant wife.

He actually starts his new job next Wednesday with training in Denver and moves to Boston Feb 7. I really wonder how less than 30 days can make much of a difference.

Trying for a second opinion, but can't even get in to see an orthopedic doc in our home town for at least a week!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Not to take it out in the home owner, but as an insurance professional, the property owner Homeowners insurance would cover injuries on The property. And technically you could file for a bodily injury claim and suit against the owner for pain and suffering.

It's worse that it was due to the negligence if the home owner. I hope he is okay and wish him the best.

robutacion

Geezzz mate, what a hell of a thing to happen to you guys and I tend to agree with the previous poster, I believe the person that caused the situation should be responsible/his insurance to cover or at least assist with the costs.

A very unfortunate event, for sure.

Hope he gets the treatment he requires in time and that everything endup OK in the end...!

Best of luck,

Cheers
George

Curly

Another way to look at it.

The accident might just have saved your boys life. Without the broken arm the cancer, if it is cancer, might have progressed a lot further before being discovered and be inoperable at that point. I hope it has been caught early enough or is something else that can be treated. While the building owner may be responsible for the broken arm that cost is nothing compared to cancer treatment or the loss of a child by disease. I hope for the best outcome.

I'll add that I wouldn't wait to see an orthopedic surgeon, I'd go direct to an oncologist if you can.

Last edited:

bobleibo

I have kind of a different spin on things like this.....for what little it's worth.
Agreeably, the homeowner may be at fault for the steam issue that caused the wet stairs and broken arm, but had that not happened would the diagnosis of potential cancer possibly gone undetected for quite some time and potentially been worse than it is by catching it now?
If I am reading this correctly, maybe the broken arm was a blessing in disguise. Either way, the timing of the entire thing is rotten.
Best wishes to everyone involved. It's going to be a rough road ahead.

Edit: Pete, looks like we were thinking along the same lines and pushed the send button at the same time..cheers

Last edited:

TonyL

Very sorry to hear this - not supposed to be part of what should be a good experience. My nephew is looking for apt there now (Back Bay area, I think); he starts his new job on the 16th.

Anyway, prayers for a quick recovery and positive outcome.

SteveJ

Thanks for your concern and encouragement. We too realize that the break might actually save his life! We got back in town Saturday and will travel to Denver today for a second opinion appointment tomorrow.

The home owner supplied information on his liability insurance late Friday, they've been closed over the weekend, so we will begin the claims process with them today.

Thanks for your prayers.

Top Bottom