Bodock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

liljohn1368

Are you perhaps speaking of one of the local names for a wood called Osage Orange.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maclura_pomifera

Great pens but some compare turning it in dry form to turning a brick. I like the wood color and strength. Makes great shawl pins

Turn away -- makes nice pens

Yes sir that is it.. I have a pasture full of it. I know it's one the hardest woods that I've ever saw. It will dull a chainsaw trying to cut it.

SteveJ

I just turned one of osage orange this week. I put a celtic knot into it and it turned very nicely. I think the osage orange by itself is a little dull. Not much grain or figure to show - at least not in the piece I turned. Nice color though!

liljohn1368

I just turned one of osage orange this week. I put a celtic knot into it and it turned very nicely. I think the osage orange by itself is a little dull. Not much grain or figure to show - at least not in the piece I turned. Nice color though!

This is what I was thinking. Maybe some kind of design or as a segment ring in another wood blank..

Interesting... I had some that I got from my stepfather in east Texas... turned it green and it had some orange and green stripe to it... shame now that SF has passed on and step brother isn't friendly... even though we were in same class in high school.

Kenny Durrant

I've turned quite a bit of it. I really like the stuff. When freshly turned it's yellow with the grain a light brown and as it ages it turns a bronze color. Sometimes it has a plain grain to it but if you crosscut the wood that will take care of that. Good Luck

SDB777

Bricks?? Too hard to cut??

Weird, I have great results cutting it with semi-chisel, on the bandsaw mill or anywhere else.... Most ebony timbers and even Snakewood is harder on the Janka scale, is everyone having issues cutting or turning this timber too?

The Osage will turn your clothing a 'funny' color when you get it wet. Osage is great for the archery people making bows. Mineral stained timber is awesome, as well as the crosscut stuff! Don't give up on the stuff.....it's just awesomeness!!!!

Scott (she's a brick.........house) B

dtswebb

JP,

I turn a lot of Osage orange and personally love it. It is tough on the tools, but the beauty is worth the effort. I've been able to amass a lot of different cuts and blanks from several IAP vendors and individuals.

I just turned a cigar ballpoint for a gentleman to replace one that he lost while on a business trip. The Osage orange was more of a straight grain, but still showed some beautiful striping and the chatoyance that I've come to expect from the wood.

Yes, it will start out a beautiful yellow and slowly turn golden with age but it's still beautiful.

From my experience, Osage orange does not like heat. I'll drill at low speeds and slowly, then let the blanks sit for a week before I epoxy in the tubes. Sometimes it will take me several turning sessions to get the blanks down to shape so I don't heat up the wood too much. After final sanding, I'll again wait a week before putting on the Pens Plus finish.

Also, I've found that I have less issues if I let the Osage orange sit for a year after I obtain it. To get around this, I've purchased Osage orange every chance I get.

The finished pen is well worth the extra effort.

Good luck.

Matthew

Last edited:

jimm1

Luv turning this stuff

Attachments

• DSC05788_edited-1.jpg
    DSC05788_edited-1.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC04834_edited-2.jpg
    DSC04834_edited-2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC04857_edited-1.jpg
    DSC04857_edited-1.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 220

TurtleTom

I use Bois d'arc as much as I can.
I make tools, rings and boxes from it. Cut it as much as you can while it is green as it is pretty soft when green. Makes the ideal mallet, I used one for stone carving for many years as I couldn't afford lignum vitae mallets. Just make it a shade bigger is all.
The wood definitely gets darker when exposed to sunlight, maybe it's just age I'm not sure but sunlight will darken it in a hurry.

Top Bottom