Blind turners at Arizona Center for the Blind

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Here are pictures of two of the turners I worked with this week. The first turner has macular degeneration and has lost all but his peripheral vision. This was his first pen, a beautiful curly sycamore blank donated by an IAP member. This is Tom Beatty, the crafts teacher for the center. I started training him last fall, and he began giving classes under my supervision in January.

IMG_3007.JPG

IMG_3011.JPG

IMG_3015.JPG

Note the home made sanding and finishing bushings turned from hard maple!

IMG_3017.JPG

Just look at that smile!

The second turner is totally blind. He turned a handle for a bottle opener today. He has already turned a couple of pens. He wanted to turn something for himself that he could actually use, since he made the pens for gifts, not having much use for one himself.

I drilled the cherry wood blank for the insert and turned it round, then took a parting tool and put several grooves in the blank to indicate how deep he should turn the various areas to get the shape he wanted. He was able to taper the handle to the groove I had cut behind the bead for the bottle opener head and turn the bead down to the proper diameter. I used the skew to shape the butt end of the handle and cut it down to about a quarter of an inch and rounded the edges on the bead. He did all the rest. Sanded and finished it himself. I parted it off and hand sanded and finished the butt end for him. Unfortunately, I had to leave before he was finished, so I didn't get a picture of him with the completed bottle opener.

KTurAPDSrCmquwLti3r4dF74n-2beMpb4TlSLA2Vf10=w622-h547-no

IMG_3020.JPG

IMG_3022.JPG

Note that we wrapped the spur with several layers of masking tape to prevent him accidentally running his hand into it while sanding and finishing.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Sharon, this is simply marvelous! It is so rewarding to be able to teach turning to others
I enjoyed reading your previous LightHouse for the Blind thread...
...job well done!

turncrazy43

Really great Sharon. You are really paying it forward in a big way. Your students are surely having a great time and must be proud of their work. Thank you for sharing this with the rest of us. Hopefully this will inspire the rest of us to pay it forward.

Top Bottom