Black Palm Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

AirportFF

I was going to do a few bottle stoppers with some black palm that I have. I've never turned palm before and it's giving me fits. LOTS of tear out and I've wasted two blanks so far. And I'm ready to toss the remaining blanks in the trash. The tools are sharp, I'm taking nice light cuts. But it keeps tearing out. The lathe speed is 1800 rpm. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Sounds like you're doing the right things. Have you tried giving the blanks a nice thin CA bath periodically to help "stabilize" it?

If you do decide to get rid of your palm, please let me know. I'd be happy to trade with you for other woods or syntheics, or to purchase some from you.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Well, you could soak it in water, freeze it, and then turn the ice cube. Then you could fill it with anything you wanted (including CA glue) after it has thawed and dried again.

It works for bowls, I don't know why it wouldn't work for a bottle stopper. Yes, it is messy, but really feels good in the middle of the summer.

AirportFF

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />Well, you could soak it in water, freeze it, and then turn the ice cube. Then you could fill it with anything you wanted (including CA glue) after it has thawed and dried again.

It works for bowls, I don't know why it wouldn't work for a bottle stopper. Yes, it is messy, but really feels good in the middle of the summer.

I'll have to remember that one[:D]

I finally got it to a shape that I wanted and coated it with CA. I'm waiting for it to set up and see how it goes.

AirportFF

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />
If you do decide to get rid of your palm, please let me know.

I only have two blanks of it left. If I can't get it to work for this, I might rip it down to pen blanks.

Doghouse

Don't forget palm has very long hollow fibers, and resinious fibers to give it strength. What is happening is you are "catching" the resin and flicking it out. Something has to be used to help hold the resin in the softer fibers. That or rough it to shape then go for the 60 grit gouge.

BigRob777

Clint,
I turned a stopper from some scrap red palm (not enough grain fibres or is that resin?). I didn't use a skew, but turned it then used the 150 grit gouge for a while. It turned out OK, but don't know what it would be like with the higher quality stuff. I just call this stuff sapwood, but that probably isn't true. Here's the pic.

200636172932_DSCN1969.jpg
<br />
Good luck,
Rob

AirportFF

I managed to save it. Took a whole lot of CA, but held together. Had to adjust the shape because of the tearout. But it came out OK. I have to wait for the lacquer to set up to finish it and I'll post a pic.

Thanks for all the help everyone.[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom